Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with a "Check Fuel Cap" message…

I have a 2005 Honda...
I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with a "Check Fuel Cap" message that just started appearing. I checked to make sure the cap was tight and have since gotten a fuel fill-up, but message is still appearing. What do you suggest I try? Thanks!
10/9/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Is there also a Check Engine Light on?

No, I just get the check fuel cap message on the "Honda Maintenance Minder" (at least I believe that is the name of it) It is the display that cycles back and forth between the trip odometer.

Ok. Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Sounds good.

Thanks for holding!

When the check fuel cap message comes on, many times this means more than just a loose fuel cap. SO, first and foremost, check the cap. . Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If you are certain the cap is good, then the next step is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be more easily found and repaired. If the smoke test proves no leaks, then next, the vehicle will need to be driven a bit. Don't worry- it's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. THe EVAP System is strictly for emissions and will not affect engine performance in any way. After driving the vehicle a bit, the Check Engine Light should also come on (roughly 75-100 miles). When the check engine light comes on, the on-board computer will store diagnostic trouble codes (aka "P-Codes"). These p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem, and the correct repair can be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

No other questions for now. I'll check the cap later today (I'm at work and don't have the vehicle). I was actually thinking of just replacing the cap, but I'll inspect it to see how it looks. I'll order a Honda one if it looks suspect in any way.
Thanks, Ron.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -