Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 1999 Honda 4 door accord with a 2.3l. The car

Customer Question
drives nice and smooth when...
I have a 1999 Honda 4 door accord with a 2.3l. The car drives nice and smooth when you accelerating but when you stop the engine shakes at idle. What is wrong and how do I fix it?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
10/5/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 10 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Is the check engine light on?

Does the instrument cluster have a tachometer and if so, is it going up and down while stopped and idling?

I believe so

HI,

Ok, you will first need to check for a vacuum or air intake leak. With engine idling, use a can of carb cleaner and spray the air intake tube, vacuum hoses, pcv hose, base of intake manifold one at a time. If the idle changes when one of them is sprayed, that is your culprit.

If no difference, then remove and clean the throttle body, including the tp sensor and the iac valve

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?