Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2005 Odyssey doors are really hard to open even when i…

Customer Question
Hello, my 2005 Odyssey doors...
Hello, my 2005 Odyssey doors are really hard to open even when i turn off my electronic buttons on my dash. I have a motor or something out on one of my electronic doors so i want to just operate them manually.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
10/4/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

The problem with these doors is usually the roller on the hinge. They wear out and then don't roll like they are supposed to.

Even if you turn them to manual mode it still has to drag on the roller so it doesn't make it any easier to open.

Do you want to try diagnosing the cause of the stiff door?

They close really easy, but opening is really hard. Sure, I really just want to be able to open my doors and not have to pay over 1K for a new motor for the door.

So the roller that usually makes it harder to open is the center roller. Here is what it looks like:

See if you can inspect this roller and look for the plastic portion of the roller being worn off.

i looked at the roller and i just see a white round plastic piece. Is there supposed to be rubber around it?

No, no rubber. Just the plastic rollers, but they need to be round still. Usually they wear one side off and they are no longer round.

yea its really really hard to see. I see a round roller that looks like its white plastic? I am assuming you typically have to take the door off? Is that typically an expensive fix?

The roller is about $50 and it's usually about a half hour labor, so you're looking at about $100 or so at a shop. You don't have to remove the door, you just put a floor jack underneath the corner of the door to support it and then pull the center roller.

that should at a minimum allow the door to work easily in manual mode? i was quoted over $1K for a full motor replacement if i wanted to go that route.

It's hard to say without looking at the door to see what exactly is binding, but of the dozen or so of these that I've fixed in the last few years every one of them was binding because of the center roller. On one of them the center roller had torn the weld loose from the door, and we had to tack weld it back on, but that was from months of forcing it with a broken roller.

Please let me know if you need additional info.