Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Kyle. First, I have an 09 Pilot. I went out a little while…

Customer Question
Hi Kyle. First...

Hi Kyle. First, I have an 09 Pilot. I went out a little while ago to get the cats in, and when I looked over at the Pilot I saw two red lights blinking. One is the Anit theft light by the top right hand side of the radio. That's blinking. Never noticed it before but that didn't bug me. But what I've never noticed was a totally round RED light blinking on and off, right next to the little car that shows you when a door is open or a tire is low etc. So I checked everything. Every door, every window, even my gas tank. It's overdue for an oil change but I'm pretty regular on that and I'm gonna get it in this week. I've checked everything I know how to. No other idiot lights are on either. I even started her and put her in gear, ind moved her back and forth. When I shut her down it comes on. Now I can take her to our local mechanic in the morning, but what I'm concerned about is it draining the battery blinking all night. OK that's whats going on. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Not the fuses, but the doors yes. All the windows are ok too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I know enough about to cars to get by, but I don't do my own work. So far I haven't needed to have anything done to her. I had her out most of the day and didn't notice anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so. I'm just concerned that the constant blinking may run the battery down by morning.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good evening! My name is ***** ***** I am a master certified automotive technician and would be happy to assist you with this.Is the light that is blinking a solid color? No indicators or symbols inside of it?
The anti-theft system has two lights that function together, so I am thinking what you are seeing is the cluster theft activation light. The instrument cluster contains a smart feature that let's the vehicle/driver know when the system is armed or disarmed.The theft light in the cluster usually consist of a red one way diode that lights up like a solid red circle, almost the size of a small bb. This is a normal feature, the only time to worry is if that light becomes active and stays on all the time.Does that help answer your question and give you an understanding of the system?
It only comes on when I lock the car. Now the thing is that this has never come on before. It just started a day ago. I did stop at my mechanic and he has a Pilot as well, and told me not to worry that his does the same thing. So I guess I don't need to worry, but I can't understand why this started all of a sudden. I've had the car for over 6 months now and it's never done this. Personally I'd like to disarm the thing. If there's a way to do this I'd like to know how to do it.

Yeah theft systems can be a little tricky at times. We have a newer VW jetta and it has the theft light that blinks on the door panel and I thought that was the only one, a few weeks ago I went into the garage when the light was off and saw a bright flash coming from the cluster, it freaked me out until I researched and found out it was part of the theft system as well and for some reason I just never noticed it.

You can disarm the system, but it would require knowledge of adding resistors to the electrical system to bypass the theft inhibit circuits. This is usually a procedure that is performed at aftermarket car radio/security system installers. I have seen it done before, but do not personally recommend it, especially on a newer vehicle as the electronics in it are a little more advanced then they used to be, and you don't want to create more problems for yourself than necessary.

I hope this has helped answer your question and made you feel a bit better about what is going on, if you have any more questions about it I will be here still to assist you.

If that is it for now than I would appreciate if you could take the time to leave me a positive feedback score, as that is how I get compensated for my time. Thanks for using justanswer.com, Have a great day!!

~Gabriel G