Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Coolant leak, i think it's a freeze plug, I replaced all…

Customer Question
Coolant leak, i think...

Coolant leak, i think it's a freeze plug

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

I replaced all hoses and put new coolant in

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1997 honda civic lx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am, I've replaced all hoses, new radiator and still having coolant leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The leak is on drivers side right behind the oil pan.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
10/3/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic

The engine in your Civic does not have freeze plugs. A leak from the driver's side could be from the pipe that runs from the back of the motor to where the thermostat is. I have seen these rot out over time. There will be smaller coolant hoses back there too that may be leaking if not replaced already.

Where can i find this hose? Do i have to go under the car to see? Or can I open the hood and see?
Im sorry pipe.
Id rather chat here
I also keep losing coolant from the resovoir. When I pour coolant into max line of the resovoir , ill lose it very quickly.
Is that just if there is too much coolant ?
I've replaced the 2 heater hoses going from the engine straight to the firewall and then the hose from the thermostat to the heater valve, also replaced the bypass hose as well, and lower and upper radiator hoses.

You will not be able to see the pipe from above. You could be loosing coolant from the reservoir because of the leak

Is there any other ways coolant can leak other than the hoses, the radiator, or the coolant pipe lines ?
How many coolant pipe lines are there?

There is one hose that attaches to the pipe and the pipe is sealed with O-Rings at each end.

Where is the pipe located ? I would just have to replace the one hose that connects to the pipe or the whole pipe itself?

Without knowing where the leak is exactly I can not tell you if it is the pipe or just the hose. Normally we would use a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system to find leaks. The hose goes to the throttle body.

If you do replace the pipe you will need to remove the thermostat housing to do so.

Could it be leaking from water pump?

Yes it could be also but there again without getting under the car we are just guessing at this point.

You will need to get under the car and look.

Its leaked a lot earlier and then when i went to check it didn't leak at all. What should i do ?

Well I still think you need to get under the car and look. Pipe or water pump they both will leak at different times depending on the engine temperature, especially if it is a pipe O-Ring leaking

Can you get a better picture of near the timing belt cover? I can't really see much in your picture.

I will later. Is the water pump right above the oil pan ? I can't pin point the leak, its dripping from the side of the oil pan

Yes it would be at the very front

Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication. Did you no longer need help?

Figured out it was the water pump and timing belt.

I'm glad you got it repaired.