Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2005 CRV no power to brake switch and no Cruise indicator…

Customer Question
2005 CRV no power...

2005 CRV no power to brake switch and no Cruise indicator light on the instrument panel when you hit the cruise switch (Typical won't come out of Park/ won't activat the solenoid)

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

I initially it was intermittent but now consistent no power. fuse # 7 is fine (continuity tested ok)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

After no brake lights checked fuse and is OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked for 12v on the brake switch and no 12volts there

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
10/3/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Edward, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

So there is no power to fuse 7 at all on either side of the fuse correct?

power on both sides

OK, so if fuse 7 is powered up, then is the WHITE/GREEN wire at the brake pedal switch hot?

Fuse 7 under the hood correct? not the interior fuse panel.

does the wire from the fuse go straight to the one side of the brake switch?
keep in mind no power to Cruise as light does not come on, on the intrument panel when u hit the Cruise switch...

Let me look . Give me just a second.

diagram.

You have a white/green wire at the brake light switch correct?

suspect an open (corroded open) wire in the wiring harness somewhere between fuse 7 and in under the dash.
Just don't know where that wire goes first (to what connection point)
Don't what to pull harness apart until I can verify continuity (or break) end to end, need to know where the under dash end connection point is
yest White green at the brake switch
no power

OK, where you able to see the diagram I uploaded?

No, how do I access the diagram

Just click on the link I uploaded.

Here it is again.

Were you able to see that diagram?

I have the diagram just checking now for power on J3 of internal fuse box then 012
give me a few muinutes

No problem, I'm thinking the problem is in that fuse box. What else is on that fuses circuit? does it say on the box is it labelled? I wonder what else fuse 7 powers up.

See if you have power on one GREEN/WHITE at J3 if possible, that would tell us the problem is from underhood fuse box to interior panel.

Fuse#7 is stop and horn
Horn works

OK, so you do have power at J3 then correct?

need assistance location J3 on the internal panel

You see WHITE/GREEN at the interior fuse panel? see if it's hot, then pull fuse 7 and see if it's hot, that will tell you which WHITE/GREEN it is. but should only have 2 WHITE/GREEN wires there.

found 1 white green just pulling the fuse to see if it is correct
pulled fuse and confirmed now just nee to find 012
standby
need assistance finding 012 connection on internal fuse box???
Do you know if is goest in the front on back of the relay box?

Alright, Should be the other WHITE/GREEN.

I'm trying to locate a diagram. thanks for your patience.

I can't find where that wire comes from the fuse box and to the brake light switch, but if you have an ohm meter, you can put one lead on WHITE/GREEN at the switch and find a WHITE/GREEN at the fuse box and that should tell you where the wire comes into the box. Since you have power to the box from fuse 7, and don't have power at the brake light switch, my research tells me you likely need a new fuse box as it probably has a cracked solder joint inside. I would recommend for now scotch locking a new wire at WHITE/GREEN splice a new wire into that wire coming from fuse 7 and run it straight to the brake light switch at WHITE/GREEN and bypass the interior fuse panel for the brake lights. that will fix your brake lights to drive it. But Still may not have cruise though. I believe you will need another fuse box to completely repair it.

the only other White green comes out of the firewall side of the inr\ternal fuse box and has little to no voltage on it
extremely didficult area to work
let me jumper the green whites and see if that does it

Alright. I understand it's tight up there. Let me know what happens there.

really need confirm the locations of the plugs and connection #s
i did at least confirm continuity between the connection on the brake switch to the one connector on the fuse connection box
but need to confirm wherre the other white green wire enters that internal fuse box
do you have a diagram that shows where J3 is ?
any luck on identifying the locations of J3 and O12 on the internal relay/fuse box
i have located one white green wire that when i pull the fuse voltage goes to zero but i don't know if that is supply or to the break switch???
The other white green has voltage on it all the time even if fuse 7 is out???

I've looked in my references and cannot find a diagram of that interior box. Let me opt out in case another expert can add a diagram of that. Thank you.

without confirming what the proper connector is I am reluctant to jumper in the 12 Volts
I will try some of my resources locally in an attempt to locate a diagram
Thank for your time ...
later