Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I replaced my starter on my 2007 honda civic si earlier

Customer Question
I replaced my starter...

I replaced my starter on my 2007 honda civic si earlier today and when I took it for a test drive, it isnt going faster than 20 mph. It is also idling at 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

Honda civic si K20 Engine. 2.0 Liter. 62000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Si yourself? What have you tried so far?

No my mechanic replaced the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need to know why my car is idling at 2500, and why when i press the gas i am not getting any power

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
10/2/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like when the starter was replaced that either the MAF sensor wasn't plugged back in or the inlet duct from the airbox to the engine isn't sealing so the engine is pulling in air after the airflow meter

Any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you