Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2003 honda crv with 112k. Check engine light came…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2003...
Hi I have a 2003 honda crv with 112k. Check engine light came on it read P0134 so I replace the upstream o2 sensor. 3 days later it came back on. So I replaced it again this time with an OE sensor and now the check engine light comes on after 1 min. Tested it and it is getting no voltage checked fuses, etc. I am stumped as to the problem. I don't wanna be throwing parts at the car if it won't fix the problem.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

There is no voltage at the o2 sensor? on the wiring harness?

Correct the sensor is not receiving any voltage. All fuses were checked. Connectors checked. O2 test showed bank 1 sensor 1 not receiving any voltage. The crv runs great no misses, no chugging, idles perfect, I average 29.5 mpg. I am stumped.

It appears to be possible either a wiring issue or a bad relay, I can give you a wiring diagram of the air flow sensor (o2 sensor) that gives you all the details so you can test it. If you have questions as to what is where or where is what I will gladly help you through the process. Would you like that wiring diagram so you can do some circuit testing?

That would be great. When it comes to wiring i am not the best at diagnosis.

here is the diagram, let me know if you have any questions, even after rating you can still come back to the question.

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.

Ok so I was doing some testing and I pulled the a/f relay behind glove box I don't know why because I don't know how to test relays. I may have got them switched around (they are the same relay) now my abs light and brake light is on. Scanned it it said abs failure now and b1s1 also was that relay bad? And did I just fry my abs module?

on this picture is the abs/air flow relay number 4, it appears you mat have triggered the code disconnecting the relay, did you try to reset and clear code?

I cleared codes, fuse was good. Abs , brake light on but no codes

Driving it for 5 miles did not clear the abs? you may try disconnecting both terminals touch together for 10 seconds and reconnect. if it continues then we will have to further try to diagnose it

I did not drive it just hooked scanner up to it. I will go and disconnect and drive it
Ok I drove it abs/brake lights off hopefully for good. But o2 light came back on. I forgot to mention if I don't clear code after 3 days I get a code of p1164. But when I probed the plug in for o2 with key on only the yellow wire had power. So by swapping those relays could one be bad?
Ok sounds good close one lol, I will look into it when I get home currently at work

ok when I checked the wiring diagram, the relay controlled both the abs and the front oxygen sensor, relay may still be good. Disconnect the oxygen sensor & give me the reading of each pin KOEO (Key on Engine Off).

Harness side not the actual sensor

Any news?

Sorry been rain last couple days and no garage. So I tested harness from vehicle red wire 1.5v, yellow wire 1.7v, white wire 2.3v, green 10.5v. Don't know if I set multimeter correct but put on battery and it read 12.8 so assuming it was set right
That was with key on. With key off no reading
Ok I'll have to review all this when I get to a computer maybe in a few hours
Ok I'll do some some more testing maybe I did it wrong but if anything changes I'll let you know
Ok maybe I didn't have good ground but the white wire read between .8 and .3 v
Ok sounds good still not around a computer but as soon as I'm near one will be here to help you

are you checking with the sensor disconnected?

Do you have a test light?

Yellow should be ground

one of the wires should show 12v as does the battery

We might have to check continuity from sensor to ECM

possible open wire, is there any oil leaks or vibrationg or has it ever been in accident that could possibly short harness or cut wire?

Foillow this procedure

No oil leaks no vibrations aside from normal engine vibrations. yes It was in minor accident but needed a grill and hood nothing else, but previous owner had it looked at and it said o2 sensor but he never had it fixed

ok It may require ECM update procedure, are you able to follow the procedure attached?

Getting 1.25v with key on start car drops to .015v, rev to 3000rpm holds steady at .850v
Seems to be working and responding, it's leaning closer to ecm update. What about the secondary oxygen sensor what are he readings?
Those were the secondary sensor readings like the attachment said front sensor is dead no readings just says 0.0v
Oh I see! ok we may have to do a continuity check on each pin based on its location from the wiring diagram. Is that possible? If so I may need to get you pin out view of the ecm and other circuits.
Ya send me a diagram If this don't work I'll take it in to get diagnosed
Yeah if it passes then ecm is bad and I will give you the pin out view so you know which pins to check, will need time will be later this evening but I will give you that information today
Ok if ecm is bad could I use on from salvage yard
If the continuity passes, and all connections are secured and tight, then ecm will likely be the issue but I will get back to you with the views
you can as long as the part number matches, and if yours is security it will require programming

Here are the diagraam you need, if it passes continuity, then you have ecm trouble, if it does not, then you have an open circuit somewhere.