Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Trying to locate the hot wire to the back up light,

Customer Question
something shorted out. Now I...
Trying to locate the hot wire to the back up light, something shorted out. Now I have no dash gauges and the car starts and shuts off immediately. Is there a way to reset the electronics or should I be looking at fuses or relays? 2011 Honda Pilot
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
9/30/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Can you explain a little bit more about whats going on with the vehicle and what happened to lead up to this ?

I assume something shorted out while I was trying to locate the hot wire leading to the back up lights. Have no power to dash gauges and car would start but cut off immediately. Have checked most of the fuses under the hood.

In this situation you would want to check all of the fuses with a volt meter to ensure you have correct power and no resistance in the fuse itself, im looking now for a diagram of the backup lights