Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2004 Pilot, 263K miles, tranny rebuilt a year ago. Vtm-4…

Customer Question
2004 Pilot, 263K miles, tranny...
2004 Pilot, 263K miles, tranny rebuilt a year ago. Vtm-4 light on, very sluggish. Checked oil, very low, Changed oil/filter, had code cleared. P1259 Code is back. Rough running, sluggish, now sputtering and shaking when trying to crank.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
9/30/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to assist you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questionms so I can help you better.

In the process of helping you I may use various sources of info I feel will help and explain your issues and along with my experience and suggestions we can hopefully solve this.

P1259 HONDA - VTEC System Malfunction

Possible causes; Low engine oil level or oil pressure Faulty Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) solenoid VTEC Solenoid harness is open or shorted VTEC circuit poor electrical connection Faulty VTEC oil pressure switch

This is the valve timing and can cause your sluggishness your experiencing. Normally we would put a scanner on and run an active test to see if the system works . But in your case before we go there , there are some things you can try.

Usually this is caused by either low oil or dirty oil, try doing an engine oil flush with your next oil change. If this does not correct it you can remove those solenoids and clean them. I will send you some videos that show how and explain some things more clearly. If you still have more questions I will be here to answer them.

Send videos

ok will do some may not be your model but exactly the same and issue.

This applies to all vetec engines

Already saw those videos...

Because yours is an 04 I would strongly recommend doing a good engine oil flush first as even though you may have changed it regularly it still develops varnish that can cause things to stick.

So what else do you want to know as this is the cause of that code and your symptoms?

What is a “good engine oil flush”? So I should replace the entire solenoid since I am getting the code?

we use Fort/e , but most name brands work to flush and this is what I would recommend before replacing the solenoid. I'm one of those that like to recommend vitamins before the surgery if you catch my drift. Lucas products are very good as well. This flush will do more then that at that age and mileage it will remove the slug and varnish , free up the rings etc and restore more power and efficiency.

here are my top recommendations for flushing, and also use a high mileage oil ,most name brand oil companies make these now , they have more additives and cleaning additives in them for older higher mileage engines. hope this answers all your questions and if you need further advice or help just ask.

53f4867d-ccdc-4025-913e-...JPG53f4867...JPGbd705843-dc98-419a-ad9f-...jpgbd70584...jpgca72edb1-63e4-491d-936f-...jpgca72edb...jpged69a45f-66d5-419a-afdc-...jpged69a45...jpg
When I did the oil change, I had lost about 2.5 quarts of oil, will the oil flush address that? If oil flush does not fix, then replace the solenoid?

yes as this will just address it if it is just a clogged or stuck issue, and if the rings are also sticking this to will help and also add some Lucas oil stabilizer as this helps oil burning.

remember to also cancel the code after trying each step.

If you wish to activate a service for a one on one chat just ask and I can do so. no obligation as we can continue texting

I hope this helps you out and remember to rate my service , thank you.

Can I clear the code here at home without a code reader?

yes you can by either pulling the EFI fuse for a bout 15-20 seconds or disconnection the neg battery terminal, but disconnecting the battery you will loose radio presets and the engine may go through a learning cycle ,also if you have mobilizer or anti theft it may need resetting. So I would recommend doing the EFI or ECU fuse first.

going out for lunch now so if tou have further questions just leave them here and I will address them latter.

Where is the EFI fuse?

usually in the main fuse block under the hood

ECU fuse not under hood, it’s inside cabin by drivers knee, also, pulling it did not clear the code... I changed the oil, added oil treatment, cleaned off all oil underneath engine, ran for 5 mins, no noticeable leak, check engine light remains. What now?

Did you see an EFI fuse ? if so try that and if it doesen't clear then it is a hard code which means the problem has to be located and repaired. If you cannot clear it this way disconnect the neg post on battery for 15-20 sec .

No EFI fuse listed. Drove it this am, vtm-4 light and check engine light on. What’s the next step?

did you try disconnecting the battery as I stated to clear code?

Tried that, codes came back on when driving.

Ok thanx for that info, then that tells you there is a chronic problem with this circuit, Question did you try the engine flush as I suggested? that would be my first move then cancel code. If then it comes back on your in for replacing the vvt valve and or sensor.

did the oil flush. “VVT valve or sensor”, how do I figure out which one? Big diff in cost.

I will send a video how to check and clean the solenoid. If you watch it carefully if it does not click replace it but if it does then next step to clean it. Do this first.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician