Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I just got notified that my 04 RR is getting the message…

Customer Question
I just got notified...

I just got notified that my 04 RR is getting the message that the transfer box or case is in neutral and won't go in gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I'm guessing it's the original one I bought the truck used

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

It's an 04 RR HSE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm not. I'm actually in Iraq at the moment and I had it taken to have new tires put on and they are replacing the right rear hub

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They guy told me that they have been driving it in the shop to keep it there over night and they got in it to move it out of the shop and they got that message and it won't go in gear

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
9/30/2017
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be going on and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem could be the module that controls the transfer case, wiring, the transfer case motor itself. It could potentially be a mechanical failure in the transfer case but that wouldn't be very likely. Electrical testing will be required but this is most often caused by a failure of the transfer case motor, especially if it hadn't been intentionally shifted in the first place.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!