Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 1998 honda accord. it's a 2.3 l 16 vetech engine 4…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 honda accord. it's a 2.3 l 16 vetech engine 4 cylinders. My car is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Autmatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well there's no gas getting into the motor or the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also last week I drove it home from lowell, to haverhill during that time car was stopping and brushing the ground. then it started to spark. Smelt like fire

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
9/27/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

How do you know fuel isn't making it to engine?

because my foster dad us not selling gas. my car is keep doing da da da da like that noise. and the engine soulds like it wants to turn over
r
I meant to say my foster dad us not selling gas. And all the spark plugs are completely dry
smelling

I'd start by checking to see it runs on starting fluid, if not the 2nd step would be to check for spark. If it has spark and doesn't run on starting fluid then this would point toward a jumped timing belt. The timing belt is about a $500 job. If it does run on starting fluid this would mean problem is fuel related such as filter as pump. In this case you would want to start by replacing the fuel filter if that doesn't help check to see if the pump is getting good power/ground while trying to start and if so replace the pump. Fuel pump is about a $400 job to have done at a shop. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

but it is getting some sorta spark. and I has good ongas. .

Check to see if it runs on starting fluid, if so problem is most likely pump or filter. If not then problem is most likely timing belt. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

s what do you mean. and how?

Spray starting fluid into the throttle body on engine while someone else tries to start vehicle. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

it's running on fluixx

This would prove problem is fuel related and point toward filter or fuel pump so next step is to replace filter, if that doesn't help do a fuel pressure test. If fuel pressure is low verify pump has good power/ground while trying to start and if so replace the fuel pump .

ok
what type fluid is it? Anntifreeze

This vehicle uses Honda Gold coolant.

he says as far as he concerns no. It won't turn over
idk if he tried it
my timing belt might'ive snapped off

That is possible, you will need to remove timing cover and check timing marks. I'm not sure what you mean by not even turn over but if engine doesn't even turn I'd start by testing starter and see if starter is getting power to it. I hate to say it but I think your best option may be a shop. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

can a car when it needs a new timing can it make a different sound versus when it need a new fuel pump

Yes, if timing has jumped it usually seems like it is turning over too easy. A compression test would give you a good indication if timing has jumped. Let me know if you have questions, please do not forget to rate answer. .Thanks.

this car may be junk
My car may be junked?

It is possible but it should be repairable if you are willing to do work yourself but if you were to pay a shop it may cost more then it is worth. Some testing by someone is capable to do the testing needs to be done at this point to see where you are at. I'd start with a compression test.