Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Electric assist rack and pinion slowly turns by itself in…

Customer Question
Electric assist rack and...

Electric assist rack and pinion slowly turns by itself in pulses to the left when backing up, and slowly pulses to the right going forward, 2011 honda fit ,117,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started the trouble shooting process,test drove to verify the complaint,yes fix it myself, 40 yrs exp as mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
9/25/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Fixitman, Technician /Advisor replied 10 months ago
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor

Hello my name is***** have experienced a lot of issues with Honda products having electric steering problems. The issue is almost always a failure in the eps control module. These modules are notorious for failure. It can also be a failure in the steering angle sensor. In order to know for sure the inputs need to be monitored with a scan tool to see if the computer is seeing straight ahead even when the vehicle is trying to steer. If it is and this is occurring you probably need the module. Also make sure that you do not miss the small things like the tires. If there is a small separation or imperfection in the tire tread then this will occur also. Please let me know if you need more help.