Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

A couple of days ago, I my alternator went out. I bought a…

Customer Question
A couple of days...

A couple of days ago, I my alternator went out. I bought a new one, replaced it, and my car worked fine for the rest of the day. The next day, however, it wouldn’t crank. I checked the battery - 11 volts. I jumped it off, it ran fine on my way to work. Got off work eight hours later, it wouldn’t crank. So on and so forth. The battery is holding charge and the alternator is charging it, but if it sits for a few hours it won’t crank without a jump. If it’s ten minutes or less, it will crank back up on it’s own.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

It doesn’t appear to be. The connectors and terminals were a little corroded so I cleaned those and replaced the connectors with brand new ones - still won’t crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

03 Honda Accord Ex 4 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. So far I’ve just tried replacing the connectors and cleaning the battery terminals.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The battery is about 5 years old, but if it’s holding charge, it should still crank up without a jump, I would think.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

ok first thing we need to address is the battery, I would take it in to the local auto parts store and have them run a load test on it and see if the battery is good, once new/old battery is back in car check charging system and see what your getting at battery voltage wise with volt meter

I took the battery to get tested at AutoZone before I changed my alternator and they said it was fine. Should I take it again now that I’ve replaced the alternator?

if they say its fine then it shouldnt have any issues days later, so next thing is to get the car running and check the charging, if thats ok, I would perform a draw test on the system, it sound like you may have a draw in the system

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.