Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L. i-vtec VCM. It started…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Honda...
I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L. i-vtec VCM. It started running badly, very rough, would die in gear at idle. Had code P2647 VCM system stuck ON. I removed and clean the VTEC Spool Valve, EOP Switch and VTEC Solenoid. Reinstalled and cleared the code. The code did not come back but now I get misfires on all cylinders. I checked the timing belt to see if it slipped but it hadn't. I replaced the timing belt and water pump while I was that far. Back together but still get pretty equal misfires on all cylinders. Thoughts anyone?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
I did a leak down test on all cylinders. The front are fine < 10% and the back 1, 2 &3 all ~80% loss. I'm assuming the rocker arms are not latched.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
9/23/2017
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Do a valve adjustment

Hi David, I pulled the intake and applied compressed air again to see where it was going. From 2 of the 3 cylinders (1 & 2) I'm getting air out of the valve cover on both front and rear banks. I'm assuming it's going through holes in the pistons. I believe when the VTEC stuck on possibly the pistons came up and hit the valves. I assume pulling the head to confirm is the next step. Thoughts?

have you actually done a compression test?

I did a leak down test. Cylinders 1, 2 and 3 with not hold 10 psi of the 80 psi I applied. Cylinders 4, 5 and 6 only drop about 4 psi. There's pressure in the crankcase when I apply air to cylinders 1, 2 and 3. The engine ran perfectly until the VTEC stuck on.

ok, sounds like valves.

I'm missing something here. If the valves are completely removed from the engine, how is air from the combustion chamber going to get into the crankcase?

what do you mean the valves are removed?

Explain to me how or where you think air from the combustion chamber is getting into the crankcase.

I want you to do a compression test, then based uopn that I will tell you what I think is going on

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician