Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

No crank, no start. Replaced battery and starter with no…

Customer Question
No crank, no start...

No crank, no start. Replaced battery and starter with no luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Single

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

05 ex se

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Just changing the battery and starter. It all started when I left the interior light on all night. Got a new battery the next day. It started right up, i drove it for about 10 minutes then went back home. Next day it would not start. I had the battery tested and it was fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It also overheats while waiting in traffic/at a stop light

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
9/21/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

What kind of honda do you have?

05 Civic EX Special Edition
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you hear a click or tick noise when you try to start?

A single click
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have the antitheft/security light on at the dash when you try to start?

but it's only on for a second.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Does it stay on when the key is in starting position?

No, only lights on are the battery, low oil, and the malfunction indicator lamp, but that one flashes then goes off
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Since you can hear the tick noise from the starter that means signal from ignition switch is present. Need to remove the starter and make sure it works when activated outside the vehicle . If starter is working ouutside and signal is present at the starter that means something is preventing the starter from turning the engine.

What could that something be? The starter is brand new.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The engine could not turn due to internal damage or even one of the external pulley locking up and preventing the belt from turning. Also there is a possibility of a defective starter too.

you're saying I should be able to move the belts by hand?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Not by hand, you can use a socket wrench to turn the crank pulley and check if the engine turns.

It turns with the socket wrench
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

That means the engine is not locked. The ticking noise you hear, is it from the startere or fuse box?

I believe it's the coming from starter. I had a friend here a few weeks back and he said it was from the starter.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Everything else checks out, there is signal present from the ignition and engine is not locked. Next step is to make sure the starter is not defective.

How do I go about doing that? Taking it to AutoZone?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, you can get it tested from a part store Or you can even supply 12 volts and ground to the starter and check if it works.

Easy enough. Are there any other reasons you can think of that it won't start?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Only other reason is the security system activated or battery terminals mot making proper connection.

I was thinking the battery terminals could be a possibility. They are fairly corroded, but all other electronics/lights are working. Would that be unlikely?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

I willk start with the terminals then. Corroded terminals can cause a no start condition, regardless if the electronics work.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Just cleaning them will be fine.

Still no luck
Could it be the spark plugs?
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

No, oif spark plugs were faulty it will atleast crank. Were any recent repairs performed before this happened?

Not to my knowledge. I bought it recently. After driving for about 25ish minutes I noticed that it would overheat while waiting at a red light or just sitting in traffic. Other than that, there were no issues until I left the interior light on over night. As a result, the battery died so I replaced it. It started right up after that and I drove it for about 10 minutes. The next day it would not start, so it sat for a couple weeks until I replaced the starter today.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm running blank on this one. I will opt out and let another expert assist you

Thanks for the help!
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, do you have a volt meter?

are you there?

Hi, David. No, I do not have a volt meter.

ok, well we need to do some electrical testing so if you can get one that would be best

hows it going?

I have a volt meter now

ok, pull the starter relay. let me know when that is done

its actually called a starter cut relay. up under the left side of dash

standby

Is there something special I need to do? It's not coming out

pull hard

after spreading the tab

Still no joy. Any alternatives to this test?

put 12 volts directly to the starter.

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician