Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2001 Honda civic, already have replaced the ECU and…

Customer Question
Second opinion] i have a...
Second opinion] i have a 2001 Honda civic, already have replaced the ECU and had it flashed and also was told to change the crankshaft position sensor so I did, and car still will NOT run, already have a lot of money into this car and cant get it right it seems, also seems like maybe the crankshaft position sensor wasn't bad and now maybe shorted out yet ANOTHER ECU? what could possibly make the ECUs going to shit? or what could be wrong now? already changed the spark plugs, that's when it started to run like crap, changed the spark plugs after the ecu was flashed and as soon as the foot went to the peddle after it turned on it took a crap on its self, have tried a lot it seems, seriously need some honest help here
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago
eric remington

does the starter crank and the engine not fire?

It fires
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

I​t fires but wont stay running what going on with it?

Like I said I first had a bad see you got a new one and had it flashed it ran for 3days, then I change the spark plugs, started it up, it started but once the foot went to the paddle it stopped and now won't stay started also change the crankshaft position sensor...still nothing
It will run for a minute but sound like crap but won't stay running, idk if somehow I shocked the different ecu I had put in an flashed an now fried it somehow?
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

It could be defective...so the first one you replaced was because the vehicle ran bad? correct? so what if that was not the problem or the only problem? what if there are other problems

Right and that's what I'm thinking an I was told to check the crankshaft position sensor(changed it, still nothing) then to check spark(but we did change all spark plugs an that's when it kinda shit the bed), fuel pressure an we're pretty sure that's fine, then the compression
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

what codes are you getting

Not getting any so I think it's a bad ecu again
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

y​ou may have an antitheft issue....what lights are on dash does red antitheft light come on when you turn key to no 2 position? with it n ot running any lights flashing when you crank

The green key light blinks
The code reader even said error something or something error
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

ok so you need to call dealer for code and I will show you how to put in the code....

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

are you the owner of car

I called the dealer but they just told me to bring it in for them to look at but I don't have the money for them to just look at it
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

o​k the only way you can get the code is to call dealer get code and I will show you how to start it...the process of how to to put code into computer I wil teach you how

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

jjust tell them that all you want is the code

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

tjhey just want to make money

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

if not call different dealer if you still have problem call Honda usa and complain

I call honda aN tell them that I'm getting an error for a code?
Or do I have to bring it down for them to hook up? Bc it won't even run
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

call 18oo9991009...tell them your green light flashing and you need the code to bypass the alarm system...the dealer did not help you and you are pissed

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

but the code will only get it started temporarily you don't have to worry about tow bill....maybe a bad key does remote work

my ecu isn't bad then?
Ohh okay
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

if green key light flashing means car thinks someone trying to steal it

Like it will turn over an start for a minute but stops an last time this happened it was bc of a bad ecu so I got another aN had it flashed an then we changed the spark plugs aN started it then touched the pedal an it did all this bs
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

if we get code we can get it started then we need to scan it and find out by scanning it what the antiheft module says...but if key is bad maybe that's all it is

I have 2 keys an both do the same thing the gauges don't work either
Just like before with the other bad ecu
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

the ecu being told stop running car someone trying to steal me. there is a an antenna in lock cylinder and if it is not reading key or other problem it will tell ecu don't start so it will only run couple seconds and then die...that is why you don't get codes

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

different modules computers commun icate with eachother antitheft module commun icate with ecu

even thou it seems like the same problem as before doesn't mean it is then? Bc after the new ecu and stuff I ran it for 3 days before changing the spark plugs
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

t​he green light indicates antitheft problem u can put in 50 ecu...light indicates antitheft so call Honda usa and tell them you want code for your car

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

then we can get it started

Awhile back I had this other car and the computer went bad also and lil did I know I guess I was supposed to change the coils too so wondering if I shoulda done that also with the ecu...
Okay so get a code to bypass the code reader for what it's saying "error"
Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

an antitheft code for blinking green light

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

ecu is not only computer in car other computers work with ecu to make car start...too many people stealing cars so a,, manufacturers began incorporating antitheft systems

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago

b4 cars easy to steal now if you don't have right key or code it wont start

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

hello?

Mechanic for Honda: eric remington,
 replied 10 months ago

h​ell o how is it going?

sry, phone was a little messed up bc of my child I had to get the app back, but unfortunately my car has to be put on hold right now due to money situations