Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

MY HAND SLIPPED OFF THE CLUTCH. I WAS STOPPED. MOTOR WAS…

MY HAND SLIPPED OFF...

MY HAND SLIPPED OFF THE CLUTCH. I WAS STOPPED. MOTOR WAS RUNNING. THE 2008 HONDA VTX LURCHED FORWARD & STALLED. AT THAT POINT I LOST ALL POWER.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

DEAD. I EVEN PUT A FULL CHARGE ON A 6 MONTH OLD BATTERY. NOTHING COMES ON. HEADLIGHT. NOTHING. AND NO CRANK OR SOUND OF FUEL PUMP PRIMER. I HAD BEEN RIDING ALL DAY TILL THIS HAPPENED.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Honda?

1800 VTX OR VTXC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

THATS WHAT HAPPENED. 2 DAYS LATER STILL SAME CONDITION.

9/20/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I would check the battery feed connections for any loose connections or wires that had broken causing this fault here.Check over any fuse panel feeds and cables as well.It sounds like a fault with a cable or connection that has become damaged or disconnected causing this issue here needing repaired or replaced.If this is all o.k. I would have the battery tested to see if it has shorted out internally or failed needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

hi. the battery has a full charge. where do I find the fuses & what amp fuse am I looking for ?

My info isnt showing me for sure but it looks to be near the battery under a cover on the right side near relays.There should be a fuse panel with a lid on it.Inspect wiring to this panel as well as all fuses.It may look something like this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/646e5k7uvtya70e/f-09-20.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

pete. I have opened the fuse box. there are six 10 amp fuses. there are two 20 amp fuses. and two 5 amp fuses. how do I tell if one of them is bad ?

Do they remove at all and if so can you see through them to see if they look burned or damaged?There should be a little metal tab running from one tang to the other in the fuse.It should be connected.If the tang is broken or burned then that fuse needs replaced.

You can also remove one at a time and use a multi meter to test resistance across each fuse from one tab to the other on the fuse.You should show a resistance for each fuse doing this.If you find one fuse shows no resistance then that fuse needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

they are all rubber coated, different colors.

Do they remove?

havnt tried yet

In some cases they may need tested with a multi meter to see if one is faulty needing replaced if they do not remove easily or if you cannot see through them

well. I don't have a multimeter

Unfortunately this may be the only way they can be tested.Usually this is the case when you cannot see through them.

I would also check for any broken or damaged wiring on your model that may have caused this fault here needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete

looks like im going to have to have it towed to the dealer.
every thing else is in tact.

If all wiring is in tact then the fuses and fuse panel needs checked for any issues.This does sound like a complete loss of power or ground causing this fault here so the fuses and fuse panel needs to be checked for any issues needing repaired or replaced.Unfortunately in some cases this has to be done by a shop or dealer with the proper tools to do this testing.

Thanks Pete

I checked all the fuses. you can see through the rubber. none are burned out

If all fuses are o.k. and you have no power this has to be a broken or damaged power or ground feed wire.This will have to be checked over further to see if any broken wires are found anywhere on this model causing this issue.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
will do. its not the wiring. hand slipped off the clutch. bike jerked & stalled. killing all power to the bike.

O.k.,but if you have no power at all to any electronics then this sounds possibly like an issue with a complete loss of power or ground.