Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2004 (2005?) Honda civic works, but I can't get the key…

Customer Question
My 2004 (2005?) Honda...

My 2004 (2005?) Honda civic works, but I can't get the key out of the ignition! The green key light comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It's the light that looks like a key

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, yes, because thank goodness it still works! But, it's not good having to leave the key in the car and make sure the doors stay unlocked

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The light doesn't stay on while driving, it only comes on when I'm try to get the #$%&* thing out of the ignition. The car will turn off, and it will turn on.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
9/20/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Can I get the vin# ***** get the correct year model?

2004
zhges16654h533000

That vin# ***** ***** good but I will use 2004 year model.

Using this diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/27cu63clk6h31ue/multi.png?dl=0 the multiplex control unit needs to see a ground on the yellow/blue wire from the park neutral switch before it will energize the white/red wire to the key interlock solenoid. Can you check those wires for correct signal.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Well, first of all, I'm out of town, and that's why I haven't just driven down the street to my mechanic. I can show him your answer and he can check it out for me, I guess, when I get home. Meanwhile, I will drive my car when I have to, but it's not a good practice to keep the keys in it when I park it. I am not savvy enough about diagrams, such as the one you linked me to, to be able to fix this myself. So, I'm fine with being done with your services, but I can't see giving a 5 star rating, since I am certainly not a mechanic that can carry on with your suggestions on my own.

Sorry you were not pleased with my help. We have no control over the complexity of the concerns customers ask us nor if the customer can do the repair or not. You can contact customer service to close your account since you did not feel my assistance was of value.

Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician