Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

New alternator, new battery, not charging. 2--3 odyssey,

Customer Question
New alternator, new battery...

New alternator, new battery, not charging. 2--3 odyssey

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

When driving, gauges went out, and got warning lights fro the traction control and abs, among others

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Odyssey?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

The alternator was replaced about 3 weeks ago,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Brand new battery too was running fine to now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
9/19/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, why was alternator changed? due to no charge? then when was battery changed? and how do you know not charging? has the battery light come on? How much driving right after alternator change? just trying to gather as much info as possible

the alternator was replaced because it was bad. that issue was diagnosed properly. car has been running well in the time since then. drove last night, gauges went out, with the lights on, and this morning the car would not start. battery was replaced, and this afternoon while driving, same thing happened. Ireplaced battery because it was an old batter (4+ years) and i don't know how long the life on it was.
the amount of driving on the new battery was approx 50 mile before the issue restarted

Last question, did you change alternator or a shop?

I did with the help of a master mechanic

ok, to explain. The charging system is computer controlled, only 3 things could really cause this, I have to list all

Either bad battery ( i know changed it) OR a bad alternator ( yes could be defective) OR the PCM ( computer) That would take a scan tool to help confirm. I doubt a fuse etc. In my first thought? defective alternator and needs to be swapped out, Second thought? bad PCM, do not rule it out, PCM's do fail and it control the charging. Lastly? need to be 100% ALl connections , wire connections are good, clean and tight, even if you have to undo them and redo them. I am thinking you will need to swap the alternator out, If still no go? then the PCM becomes more likely, I can send the wiring diagram should your mechanic need it. Hate to say possible PCM but it is possible. I still think defective alternator.

ok, will check those out. mechanic can help pull codes too, thanks

may not be any codes, I can only state since you have had this problem a couple times with new parts? I am saying one can not rule out the PCM. Here s the wiring diagram in .pdf

Please rate my servcie I have provided today. rating now does NOT close this post and you can come back as needed if needed after rating my service. Thanks, Randall