Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1993 si sometimes when i go to start it it cranks wont start…

1993 si sometimes when...

1993 si sometimes when i go to start it it cranks wont start sometimes i hear the pump prime and sometimes it dont

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yes the problem is when i turn the ignition on i cant hear the pump prime up and it wont start sometimes it runs and then starts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '93 Honda?

Si hatch..has new distributor and main relay somestime it start 4 days in a row could it be pump or ignition switch has 250,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes distributor and main relay

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check
for spark at the plugs with a spark tester. Check
compression too for a possible valve timing issue with a
compression gauge. You can check fuel pressure with a
gauge and all of these tools should be available to you at
your local parts store for rent or purchase. You need to
check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool. The code reader only gives the
codes and definitions, where the scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
it will start and run fine 2 or 3 days a week but sometimes when i go out to start it it cranks over but wont start if i just turn the ignition on i dont hear the pump prime up thats when it wont start..250,000 miles on it has new dist and main relay poss pump acting up or ignition switch
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call.