Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

When I give it gas, sometimes it won't accelerate. this is…

Customer Question
When I give it...

When I give it gas, sometimes it won't accelerate. this is scary when I am making a turn across traffic or trying to get up speed to merger on the highway

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I do fill it up more frequently, now that you mention it. It does take a little longer to start--sometimes it sounds like it won't start, but so far it always does start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1998 honda crv

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I took to a mechanic and it didn't act up for them so they didn't do anything. I'd like to be able to tell them what is wrong (besides just describing symptoms) so they can fix it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
9/18/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 9 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

I found a forum where many people are complaining about delayed acceleration, which seems to be the same problem as I have. But no one on there posted any solution.

Hey how are you

what is the mileage on it now ?

has the transmission been serviced ?

any check engine light on ? and did they scan it with a Honda scanner or equivalent when you took it in ?

the lack of acceleration , we need to find out is it engine related or transmission related or TB ( throttle body related ?

what work been done to it prior to this issue , tune up, fuel filter , timing belt etc ?

lets start here ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

203,000
No transmission service. I get quarterly oil changes.
Yes to engine light. They did scan it but it didn't show anything. The problem has gotten worse since then, though.
No work on this issue before - fuel filter, timing belt.

Now with that said , the #1 reason and most common , is fuel injector ,fuel injector flow, especially no codes ?

what gas do you use with it 87 , 89 , 93 octane ?

have you ever ran fuel injector cleaner in it ?

I use 87.
I've never used fuel injector cleaner.

but yes to check engine light and no fault codes ? there must be one ,unless tjey have what we call a Basic code reader ,then want be able to see all the modules to retrieve fault codes ?

was that a small outfit on repair shop are they equipped with proper scanners for it

check engine light is on now. Sometimes flashing sometimes staying on.
I'm honestly not sure what no fault codes means. The place I went to is pretty big (they recently expanded) and they told me they hooked it up for diagnostic but couldn't find anything wrong.

before throwing parts at it , and you using 87 , run 2 full fuel tanks using 93 octane and run fuel injector cleaner in the tank , use 2 bottles in tank each time

and notice if you feel a difference ,if you do you can do several times until it clears up , in some cases injectors has to flushed thru machine or replaced if they are beyond cleaning but since yours is intermittent i say it will work

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

flashing check engine light is A random mutilpe misfire , if u have the extra money , change plugs and coils also

usually a

P0300 fault code will show up for that

where can I get fuel injector cleaner? any gas station? what else could it be? Fuel pressure regulator?

advance auto or auto zone

If using fuel injector cleaner doesn't solve it, what is the next step? I'd love to tell my mechanic that I think it is one of three things (or whatever) and list them out. Can you help with that?

next step change all injectors

if that doesn't fix it? What would be the next steps?

i would tell him , fuel injector cleaner , tune up ,fuel filter ?

I've now found several forums for this problem; I've seen lots of analysis, but no one yet has said they did x and it worked. I worry about going through your recommended list and being in the same position. If this is common to old Hondas with no clear fix, should I just get rid of this car and buy a new one? It is old and has lots of miles.

there is no one answer for this i m sorry ,especially no codes to go by it will be a guess,internet shows you a lot if stuff in this case testing will be needed, now they can do a flow test and be sure

dealer has fuel injector equipment to test that ,will cost around $150

now the crv are known to run 300 miles ,especially if u have timing belt changed ,if paid for i keep it