Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX with 125k miles. Car has been…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 2008...
Hi. I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX with 125k miles. Car has been running rather poorly; e.g., rough low idle speed (~700 rpm), engine rpm drops then raises then drops again while coasting and with foot off accelerator. More importantly, gas MPGs have gone from 33-36 down to 22-25. I did a tuneup of sorts as recommended. Changed out spark plugs (originals weren't bad). Checked ignition coils; all ok. Replaced air filter. Still running like an old man. Ideas?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
9/16/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So you want to do a IAC, MAF and throttle body clean next and relearn system

How difficult a job is it to do these things? Also, are there any special tools needed? How much time do you think it would take to do it myself? I've not ever done them, just the ECU relearn.

super easy, so this is the MAF right on top of the air box, you would simply want to remove it and get some MAF spray from the local auto parts store and spray the exposed resistor wires clean,

the throttle body you just want to remove the intake hose with key off you can open the flapper and I would suggest to clean with tooth brush and aggressive carb cleaner, you can also get that at the auto parts store

ok and for the IAC there is none on that vehicle the throttle body compensates for that with the stepper motor, so here is the reset procedure and idle relearn for that model

1. Make sure all electrical items (the A/C, the audio system, the lights, etc.) are off.

1. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.

1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 °F (90 °C).

1. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

Would you be able to supply pictures of what components you're talking about? Pictures speak a thousand words, as they say. 😊
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician