Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh,
Experience:  Master Tech at Kennesaw Auto Tech
97664209

I have an 05 odyssey and im having trouble with the

I have an 05 odyssey and im having trouble with the serpentine auto belt tensioner

Hello, after you put the tensioner on, can you move it with tool on the pulley bolt?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it will not budge and i can take the belt on and off because of no tension

odd. once tensioner in place and mounted. you should be able to place a wrench or socket bar on the pulley bolt head and move it, Are you 100% you are trying to pry it the correct direction? I can not see 2 of them not moving. we know you pry it to the left or counterclockwise. I am not there so asking

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i pry it to the left no budge pry it to the right no budge

I honestly do not know. I can see one bad one but not 2 of them. How are you trying to move it? what are you using

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
U know that this tensioner has 2 bolt heads on opposite sides of the bottom pulley
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fake bolt heads take a 3/4 sockect and im using a 1/2 breaker bar and pole for torque

You are to be on the pulley bolt shown as "A" in the picture I have attached. You place a socket etc on the head of that bolt and pry hard to the left. The whole tensioner will pivot. I also put a picture of the belt diagram to be sure you routed correct

I am sorry, I sent wrong info. I am going to opt out and open the post back up to other experts

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No my tensioner does not look like that

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a 2005 honda odyssey ex-l
J35A7 engine with a serpentine belt auto tensioner with 2 pulleys and some type of hydraulic tensioner or lubricated spring-loaded tensioner at the bottom of it

Is this how your belt tensioner look?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like the bottom pic....
The j35a7 engine

Did you check if the tensioner is rubbing against the lower timing cover. The tensioner design has been updated on this vehicle and a minor modification is needed on the lower timing cover when new tensioner is installed. I have installed a copy of the service bullitin provided by honda.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After i install the tensioner the belt goes on without releasing tension as if its stuck

It could be touching the lower timing cover and not fully opening.

If that is the case the timing cover will need ot be trimmed as shown in the illustration.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Give me a sec let me check this out i dont have to remove the wheel to see

Ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok im getting movement now but the tensioner is not tight....i can move the tensioner but its not tightening the belt
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R u still there

Yes. Sorry about the wait. I was helping another customer. Just to make sure, this is how you are routing the serpine belt as shown in the attachment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to a t

Did you install a new belt ot the same one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both and the old belt seems to be tighter but still too much slack....new belt could be wrong

And you did make sure that it is not rubbing against the lower timing cover like it shows in the service bulletin?

Gunvir Singh,
Experience: Master Tech at Kennesaw Auto Tech