Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

01 passport that sat for over a year, got a transmission and

Customer Question

01 passport that sat for over a year, got a transmission and new battery.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: 2001 honda passport wont start after sitting over a year and then getting a transmission and new battery. Wants to start and then turns back off immeditately. Tried turning the key in the drivers door three times-same issue. starts then immediately turns off
JA: Are you fixing your Passport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried new battery in remote, new car battery. someone stole the battery out of the truck while is sat. it sat for over a year with no battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is it acting like the security system is engaged causing this fault here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it starts up for 3 secs. then shuts right off again, the security system is a guess. the truck ran fine, transmission was slipping. took me a year to find a decent transmission, truck sat, battery was stolen, key fob went dead. replaced both and then did the key in drivers door turn right three times to reset security system but that didn't wok
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Are you seeing any security lights/messages on the dash cluster when it starts and stalls at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am at work now and no where near the vehicle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, didnt see your response just all the selling features, the security light is flashing, but not sure about the dash
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Is the key fob working to lock and unlock the doors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Was this the procedure you had tried:
1

Insert the ignition key in the Accord's driver-side door lock.

2
Turn the key to the unlock position.

3
Turn the key to the lock position.

4
Turn the key back to the unlock position. The alarm should now be disabled and should start.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i didnt try that, this is a honda passport
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that if it is the same as the honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

That is the honda method to reset the security system.I would try this procedure above to see if this then disables the alarm and allows starting.If this does not work come back here and let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete