Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Im having trouble with my 2002 Honda civic. the instrument…

Customer Question
Im having trouble with...

Im having trouble with my 2002 Honda civic. the instrument cluster gauges work properly but the lights do not work. all the other lights like the srs, maint required and seatbelt light and also the light for the gear selector work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Light the lights that illuminate the cluster as a whole.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I researched on how to replace the bulbs and so, without disconnecting the battery, I removed the cluster and bought new bulbs. I have checked the fuses under the hood and the floorboard and the fuses are fine. not sure what else to check

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is pretty much it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
9/12/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, You should remove the cluster again, unplug it, turn lights on and probe the red/black wire at the plug, You need to see 12 volts. If 12 volts? then the Cluster CPU is bad and will need new cluster. If NO power at the red/black? then you need to back to fuses under hood fuse box, Fuse # 2 a 15 amp fuse, Swap it out to be sure, If still no power? then a wiring problem between fuse box under hood and cluster. The CPU / clusters do fail. This would not be the first I have seen.I suspect the cluster but wanted to advise how to reconfirm