Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

How does your system work? What is the cost to get help with…

Customer Question
How does your system...

How does your system work? What is the cost to get help with my question?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Honda Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How much is the "rest" cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Honda Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Will I get a quote beforehand?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Honda. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes. See my previous question. Will I get a quote for the cost of his answer beforehand?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you already selected to pay 28.00 plus 5.00 deposit for the answer. now if that is ok, whats your issue?

My son has a 2004 Honda Accord Lx 4-cylinder car. It has 184k miles on it. It died on him one day and would not restart. I took it to my local mechanic and he told me the ECM computer is bad and that it needed to be replaced but that he did not deal with electrical issues.
I was told that if I replaced just the ECM it would not work because my existing keys and ignition immobilizer are matched to the ECM and if I replaced just the ECM I would have to take my vehicle to Honda and have them "flash" the new ECM computer to match my existing ignition and keys.
So to avoid that, I purchased a used ECM with the matching ignition immobilizer and keys. (see uploaded file) I replaced both items and the vehicle will still not start. It turns over but does not start.
My question: Since I purchased a matching ECM, ignition immobilizer and keys, shouldn’t it start? Or is there something else that has to be “flashed” so that everything matches? Obviously, the vin number stored in the used computer does not match the vin number of my vehicle. Does that matter?
Thanks for your help!

The vin mismatch needs to be corrected.

is the vehicles engine cranking at least?

it turns over just fine. It ran great up until then.
How do you correct the mismatch. There is not mismatch between the ignition and the ECM. Where is the mismatch?

between the transponder and immobilizer .......does the theft light go out when cranking the engine?

The little green key light does go out when cranking it. But it flashes several times after you stop cranking it. What do you mean by transponder? Where is that located? Is that a 3rd part that I did not replace?

if the key light goes out while cranking then its not anti theft.

theft

Thanks for the diagram. Helpful.So if I read this correctly, and assuming I was sold matching keys, immobilizer and ECM/PCM, then it should work correct? Because I have replaced all three of these with the new used set that I bought. (See the photo I sent you.)
I should not have to take my vehicle to the dealership to "flash" it or anything?If true, I'm wondering if I was sold a ECM/PCM that does not match the keys and immobilizer they sold me.If this is the case, what are my options? Would I have to take it to the dealership and have them reflash everything so that everything matches back up?

please standby

if the green light goes out it is not anti theft. Did you ever think it could be something else? How did your mechanic determine its the ECM?

Not sure exactly what he did. He said he got it to run one time for about 5 seconds and then the computer shut off the fuel. He tried to pull the codes and none would come up or he got a code but it was not reading correctly.

ok.

when you crank the engine are you getting rpms?

No. It just cranks. I will not startup.Last night I confirmed that when you turn the ignition on, the indicator light will come on for about 2 seconds. Then when you attempt to start it, green key light blinks the whole time you are attempting to start it. (The "Wrong Key Inserted" scenario on listed on the 2nd page of those papers you sent me. - See file I attached.)My conclusion: The immobilizer/ignition, keys, and ECM that I purchased used from the junkyard must not have all come out of the same vehicle. Since the immobilizer/ignition and keys match, the computer must be the one that is different.Do you agree with my conclusion? Or is there some other issue that could be causing this key error?Solution: Take the care to a Honda Dealership and have them re-flash everything so that the ignition/immobilizer, keys, and computer all have the same codes.Agree?Thanks for all your help!

I absolutely agree.

hows it going?