Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 1990 honda accord ex sedan with an automatic transmission…

Customer Question
My 1990 honda accord ex...
My 1990 honda accord ex sedan with an automatic transmission keeps burning up alternators
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 day by:
9/11/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 11 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I need the vin number to pull the charging system schematics.

I also need to know how quickly the alternators are burning up - a day or two, couple of weeks, couple of months, etc

The V.I.N is 1HGCB7666LA165742. I had it sitting for a while and worked on it and got it back up to snuff. I put a brand new battery in and a reman. alternator and it lasted about four months. The next alternator lasted 3 miles and the 3rd lasted 20 minutes of idling. I'm gauging this from my battery light coming on on the dash and the last alternator is not charging my battery according to my voltmeter (12.2 volts). When I run the car the alternator seems to heat up a lot faster than what it should and a lot hotter than it should.
The black wire with the yellow stripe is the one that keeps ohming out on me to approx. 74 ohms. I was told that since this wire is common to many electrical components in the car it could be the ground reading from them and not a dead short because if it were a dead short my # 2 fuse under the dash would have blown to bits and it has the correct rating (15 amps). I also had the battery checked and the voltage and load test were fine.
Calling won't do me any good right now; it's raining cats and dogs and I can't work on the car. Mabye when it stops raining.

I thought I would have the schematics for this one but I do not. If another expert does and can help, they will post here to you