Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

My Honda crv cranks but no start, battery is good start is

Customer Question

my Honda crv cranks but no start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: battery is good start is good cranks no start
JA: What year is your CR-V?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes replaced ignition switch,spark plugs checked cam timming
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have spark and injector pulse fuel pressure 50 psi,theft sytems seems to work properly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Michael Solis replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** have over 13 years experience in the automotive industry. I have worked on numerous vehicles. Ok lets start with some questions.

How much is the psi on each cylinder?

How many miles does the vehicle have?

Did it ever overheat?

Do you have a scan tool? If so, any communication/codes?

Is there any water in the cylinders if you pressure test the coolant system? Is it losing water?

Last oil change?

Any water in the oil?

If you could answer these questions would be great!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
175 psi on all cylinders ,195,km did not over heat ,no coolant leak ,no coolant in oil or breather

What about codes? Any codes? Any communication to the pcm?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no codes , had a scanner pluged in ,map coolant and air temp are good theft system was in run mode ,had crank rpm when cranking

No communication errors on modules other than the PCM?

Crank/cam signal coloration within spec?

No loose grounds?

First remove the cover off the top off the intake and verify the G101 ground and wire harness is good and the bolt tight.

2. Voltage drop the Engine Control Module (ECM) powers and grounds. And check the wire harness and connections between the Throttle Actuator Control Module and the Engine Control Module (ECM).

5v on tps?

check engine illuminates key on bulb check?

Obviously no key symbol right?

Just to see if it starts with scanner connected, give it a try if you have not yet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
engine lights with key on, g101 is good not sure of others as don't have access to that sort of info ,don't remember what scanner said but corolation was ok,didnt try to access other moduals ,if I had access to specific diagnostic info I would not need your help ,were is pcm located ,what is resistance value for cam and crank sensors
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
were can I access diagnostic information

Have you tried attempting to start while scanner is connected? (on honda's, if a bad ground is present it will start with having a scanner connected)

let me check the diagrams one moment...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
scanner was connected while cranking ,vehicle was driving fine just quit on the road and now no start

24/23/22 ecm/pcm location

Resistance value? never done a resistance value on cam/crank sensors, always monitored the 5v ref volt drop scope pattern & make sure no glitches were there. You can do it with the volt meter, but would only show you average drop reading, you would have to connect to ground and the cam signal wire, I can give you the pin out of each sensor if you like

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you have diagnostic flow chart for crank no start ,pcm terminal id location to do circuit continuity

Yup, one sec

Intermittent crank and no start. No codes set.Average Reported Mileage:171601Tests/Procedures:

1. Verify immobilizer light goes off when no start issue is present.

2. Check fuel pressure and injector pulse. Try to start vehicle on false fuel.

3. Check spark is present, check spark strength during no start issue.

4. Check compression and cylinder leak down

5. Check cam timing and valve adjustment.

6. Make sure it does not have diesel.

1. Verify immobilizer light goes off when no start issue is present. 2. Check fuel pressure and injector pulse. Try to start vehicle on false fuel. 3. Check spark is present, check spark strength during no start issue. 4. Check compression and cylinder leak down 5. Check cam timing and valve adjustment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you so much it late here ,this info gives me a good start

If you can give any other clues or hints, i'll gladly help

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.