Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My Honda crv cranks but no start. Battery is good start is…

Customer Question
My Honda crv cranks...

My Honda crv cranks but no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is good start is good cranks no start

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your CR-V?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced ignition switch,spark plugs checked cam timming

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have spark and injector pulse fuel pressure 50 psi,theft sytems seems to work properly

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
9/9/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** have over 13 years experience in the automotive industry. I have worked on numerous vehicles. Ok lets start with some questions.

How much is the psi on each cylinder?

How many miles does the vehicle have?

Did it ever overheat?

Do you have a scan tool? If so, any communication/codes?

Is there any water in the cylinders if you pressure test the coolant system? Is it losing water?

Last oil change?

Any water in the oil?

If you could answer these questions would be great!

175 psi on all cylinders ,195,km did not over heat ,no coolant leak ,no coolant in oil or breather
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

What about codes? Any codes? Any communication to the pcm?

no codes , had a scanner pluged in ,map coolant and air temp are good theft system was in run mode ,had crank rpm when cranking
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

No communication errors on modules other than the PCM?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Crank/cam signal coloration within spec?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

No loose grounds?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

First remove the cover off the top off the intake and verify the G101 ground and wire harness is good and the bolt tight.

2. Voltage drop the Engine Control Module (ECM) powers and grounds. And check the wire harness and connections between the Throttle Actuator Control Module and the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

5v on tps?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

check engine illuminates key on bulb check?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Obviously no key symbol right?

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Just to see if it starts with scanner connected, give it a try if you have not yet.

engine lights with key on, g101 is good not sure of others as don't have access to that sort of info ,don't remember what scanner said but corolation was ok,didnt try to access other moduals ,if I had access to specific diagnostic info I would not need your help ,were is pcm located ,what is resistance value for cam and crank sensors
were can I access diagnostic information
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you tried attempting to start while scanner is connected? (on honda's, if a bad ground is present it will start with having a scanner connected)

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

let me check the diagrams one moment...

scanner was connected while cranking ,vehicle was driving fine just quit on the road and now no start
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

24/23/22 ecm/pcm location

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Resistance value? never done a resistance value on cam/crank sensors, always monitored the 5v ref volt drop scope pattern & make sure no glitches were there. You can do it with the volt meter, but would only show you average drop reading, you would have to connect to ground and the cam signal wire, I can give you the pin out of each sensor if you like

do you have diagnostic flow chart for crank no start ,pcm terminal id location to do circuit continuity
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

Yup, one sec

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago
Intermittent crank and no start. No codes set.Average Reported Mileage:171601Tests/Procedures:

1. Verify immobilizer light goes off when no start issue is present.

2. Check fuel pressure and injector pulse. Try to start vehicle on false fuel.

3. Check spark is present, check spark strength during no start issue.

4. Check compression and cylinder leak down

5. Check cam timing and valve adjustment.

6. Make sure it does not have diesel.

1. Verify immobilizer light goes off when no start issue is present. 2. Check fuel pressure and injector pulse. Try to start vehicle on false fuel. 3. Check spark is present, check spark strength during no start issue. 4. Check compression and cylinder leak down 5. Check cam timing and valve adjustment.

thank you so much it late here ,this info gives me a good start
Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

If you can give any other clues or hints, i'll gladly help

Mechanic for Honda: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.

Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis