Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I replaced my evap cannister in my 2005 Honda civic hybrid 6…

Customer Question
I replaced my evap...

I replaced my evap cannister in my 2005 Honda civic hybrid 6 days ago. Check engine light comes back on..

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I've taken it to be fixed by a professional

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has 220k miles

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
9/7/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What code are you getting?

P1456
That was the original code
I took it to be fixed

Give me a few minutes to look into this. Thanks.

Has anything else been replaced besides canister? Is it at shop now?

I did replace two oxygen sensors recently.. no the car is not in the shop

This can be caused by a few things, the most common things are the fuel cap and the purge solenoid. The best test is typically a smoke machine so you can visually look for leaks and is around $100 for the test at a shop. Otherwise to fix this at home you would want to replace fuel cap, if code comes back then visually inspect hoses, and then use a vacuum pump to test components for leaks. This code means the evap system has a small leak. Here are testing instructions from manual, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh3wo7a5luzrnsz/1456.pdf?dl=0

fixing the evap cannister is just one part of the solution? There could be other things as well? I did get gas 6 days ago..

The evap canister is rarely the cause. The evap system consists of multiple components, if any of them are leaking it would cause this code. I'd start by replacing gas cap and if that doesn't help you will need to do testing procedure as shown in above link. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I will try that..Thank you!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

I changed the fuel cap saturday.. didn't drive a lot that day. Sunday, drove a little more but no more than maybe 20 miles.. the light is still on.. how long should I give it?

It might take a few days, you could also have codes reset at your local parts store for free. If light comes back on then further testing will need to be done by a shop unless you feel like doing tests in above link. Let me know if you have more questions, please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

After work I'm taking the car to a place to have the code read..i drive 60 miles a day and don't want to get stuck far from home.
The car is running good.. nothing strange happening that I can tell. I'm getting 45.4 miles per gallon. It's remained at that level. This light has been going on and off several times for the last few months. Changed two oxygen sensors and spark plugs and evap cannister. Car has been maintained well.

This code is only emission related, you don't need to worry about it leaving you stranded. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Thanks! I just need to fix it though to pass emissions .. I'm due this month.

Some testing is probably going to be required if light doesn't go off within next day or two. Let me know how it goes or if you need anything, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.