Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I replaced my evap cannister in my 2005 Honda civic hybrid 6

Customer Question

I replaced my evap cannister in my 2005 Honda civic hybrid 6 days ago. Check engine light comes back on..
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I've taken it to be fixed by a professional
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car has 220k miles
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What code are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P1456
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was the original code
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took it to be fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Give me a few minutes to look into this. Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Has anything else been replaced besides canister? Is it at shop now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did replace two oxygen sensors recently.. no the car is not in the shop
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This can be caused by a few things, the most common things are the fuel cap and the purge solenoid. The best test is typically a smoke machine so you can visually look for leaks and is around $100 for the test at a shop. Otherwise to fix this at home you would want to replace fuel cap, if code comes back then visually inspect hoses, and then use a vacuum pump to test components for leaks. This code means the evap system has a small leak. Here are testing instructions from manual, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh3wo7a5luzrnsz/1456.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fixing the evap cannister is just one part of the solution? There could be other things as well? I did get gas 6 days ago..
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The evap canister is rarely the cause. The evap system consists of multiple components, if any of them are leaking it would cause this code. I'd start by replacing gas cap and if that doesn't help you will need to do testing procedure as shown in above link. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that..Thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed the fuel cap saturday.. didn't drive a lot that day. Sunday, drove a little more but no more than maybe 20 miles.. the light is still on.. how long should I give it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It might take a few days, you could also have codes reset at your local parts store for free. If light comes back on then further testing will need to be done by a shop unless you feel like doing tests in above link. Let me know if you have more questions, please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After work I'm taking the car to a place to have the code read..i drive 60 miles a day and don't want to get stuck far from home.
The car is running good.. nothing strange happening that I can tell. I'm getting 45.4 miles per gallon. It's remained at that level. This light has been going on and off several times for the last few months. Changed two oxygen sensors and spark plugs and evap cannister. Car has been maintained well.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This code is only emission related, you don't need to worry about it leaving you stranded. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! I just need to fix it though to pass emissions .. I'm due this month.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Some testing is probably going to be required if light doesn't go off within next day or two. Let me know how it goes or if you need anything, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.