Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

I have a 2006 Odessey. I had to replace the starter at

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Odessey. I had to replace the starter at 112,500 miles about 3 years ago. It was performed by a Honda Dealer. Last spring, I had to replace the alternator. Then, I've had a few instances of starting problems over the summer. I took it to a non-dealer local shop, they told me I needed a new compressor, but I took it to my Honda Dealere for a second opinion, and they told me it was the schrader valves, which I had them replace and I had about 2 months of no problems. Now the car is suddenly not starting again - wife drove it to a store, but then it wouldn;t restart. I tried jumping it, but it would not work until I moved the red cable clamo from the terminal to the neck of the cable. Started right up. Took it to my Honda Dealer, they are telling me I need a new starter, and oh by the way its out of warranty. Is this really the starter, or just the soleniod on it? Or maybe not the starter at all?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, the battery and cable connections are less than 6 months old. no corrosion.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2006 Odessey
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: did you read my initial post?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a part recall on starters? I really feel like Honda should cover this. I should get way more than 43k miles on a new starter.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Michael Solis replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** am very excited to be assisting you today. You were diagnosed with a bad starter correct? You are asking if it is the starter solenoid or starter, you are also asking for any possible warranty/recall on the starter. Is there any other concerns besides the questions I have stated? If not, we can get started immediately.

Also, How much warranty was given on the starter after replacement? (most dealerships offer 1 year warranty only)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told I had a 3 yr/36 month warranty, which expired. I have been checking around online and some of the forums have mentioned this type of recurring starting problems involving bad solenoids, corrosion in the line from the battaery to the starter, and other problems. My Honda dealer is telling me I need a new starter - 700 bucks. I need to know if there are other possible causes that they are not considering.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The starter is 42 months old, with only 43k miles on it

There is other possibilites, but if the starter is receiving its signal but not engaging, then the starter can very well be bad. As for the starter solenoid, it is part of the starter assembly

loose connection at the starter can be issue if it is getting its signal but not engaiging

Did you get your issue resolved? I will go ahead and ask for a rating, it does not mean the question is done, but if you feel I answered your question then a rating will be greatly appreciated, for I do not get paid until a rating is received. Thank you, ***** ***** me know if I can be of anymore help.