Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 1993 Honda prelude is not sending a spark signal to the…

Customer Question
My 1993 Honda prelude...

My 1993 Honda prelude is not sending a spark signal to the coil pack it has power but the wire is not sending signal so the coil will not spark either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prelude yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried a different main relay, ignition switch, and another ecu

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

And yes myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

153,000 miles and before it stopped sending spark the rpms were fluttering all over the place and it hit 0 and died out

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

It sounds like the ignition module(ICM) has gone bad. When it's going out the tach needle will act erratic. It's one of the most common no-start and stalling problems. It's inside the distributor housing, I have included instructions for replacing it. Click on the blue text to go to a parts site for the price.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to credit me. I will keep the question open after you provide a rating today.
Thank you,
~Honda-Man
Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

I also have a new coil pack and new distributor on the car but if it's after the coil and the coil isn't receiving spark how could that be the problem?
The new parts were added after the car decided to give out
Also all fuses and relays have been checked and are in good order

You didn't mention that?

So have you checked the ignition module? Tested it?

It's what controls spark or switches the coil.

it is in working order

Guess I am out of suggestions then, sorry. I will opt-out.

Mechanic for Honda: Anthony, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician

Hi!

Different expert here...

What exact engine do you have?

Do you have a voltmeter or can you get one?

H22a1 and I have a multimeter and I would be able to use it on Saturday is that ok?
Also have the light tester

Ok sure

Would I be able to reply to you then and the convo will just continue right?

Correct

Alright I'm at my car and have the multimeter along with the rest light

Sorry for the delay...

I wasnt sure when you would be back. Are you still near the car?

I actually just left where my car is and it's ok would you be able to tell me what I would check with re multimeter so I can get straight to it tomorrow and tell you the results?

Ok, turn on the key. At the distributors wire connector see if the yellow with black stripe wire has 12 volts to ground or the engine block.

Alright there is not a yellow with black stripe but there is a fat solid yellow one so I tested that and got 11.49v

Hi

Okay you have a bad part in that distributor. Its either the module or the coil. It cant be anything else.

I don't have any spark going to the coil and it's new and so is the dizzy

Right but not true int his case. YOu have power so it only can be a defective module or distributor causing no spark. Or in a rare case if the rotor does not turn when cranking the engine, you have a broken timing belt.

I'll take it out and get it tested at a oriellys or autozone is there any chance it could be a bad ecu also? Or is there anyway to test a ecu
It's not the timing belt for sure I took off the valve cover and saw it turn when cranking
I guess there isn't any distributor testing here what will I need to do to test everything in the distributor

Hi

The ECU cant be the problem. The distributor is self contained in making a spark. ITs probably a bad module from the start. Have it tested or try another one.

Alright I'll try another is there no possible way to test it with my multimeter at home?
There isn't anywhere around me that doesn't test distributors

Hello!

The only test is to see if its getting power which you did. Power + no spark means bad distributor. Try getting a fully rebuilt distributor thats been tested.

Alright cool I'll get back to you with the results when I get it

Ok great

Alright I changed out the ICM and still no spark the dizzy is a external coil and I did a diagnostic on my car since it's obd1 just used a pin connector and the CEL stays solid which im guessing means code 0 which is a bad ecu

Hi!

Any code thats 0 is a bad ecu in most cases.

would that affect the spark you think?
your also confirming that a solid light during diagnostic is a code 0

What exact engine do you have? Is it a vtech?

it is a vtec
2.2l h22a1 Dohc vtec

Yes a bad ecm can inhibit spark. Its not very common but very possible.

Based on your info, the ecm is not firing the module.

You get the info from the previous mechanic also right I think my ICM was going out and the ECU decided to go out around the same time I'm guessing since I had erratic rpms before the engine shut off and stay off it was like very erratic rpms jumping everywhere real fast

Well he didnt know it was a vtech and i didnt until now. A vtech gets its spark from the ecu so thats why i am agreeing to the ecu being bad. The vtech part has changed my answer.

Do you know if the ECU is interchangeble with any 4th gen vtec manual or is it year specific and generation specific

Its specific to the year because of the timing tables stored in the ecm.

Alright I'll find somewhere that repairs them and get back to you on that

sure thing

Alright I ended up trying another ignition switch and it actually started right up
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician