Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and the check engine light is on.

I tried reading it with...
I have a 2002 Honda Civic and the check engine light is on. I tried reading it with a obo inova 3030 but it says re error. What can I do?
9/2/2017
eric remington

h​ello my name is ***** ***** you tried a different scanner. go to a parts store and try a different scanner and then let me know if you get the code codes

I got it to work. It says it is the canister purge valve solenoid. Is it hard to replace? There is no black smoke. What causes this to break?

well lets make sure that that is the part not the computer or wiring or another component that works with that selonoid...first what is the code?

They just printed out the part I needed. It was autozone

what if that does not fix the problem.?

I can tell you how to replace a part but a code is only a code just because you have a code for a canister purge solenoid valve circuit does not mean automatically that its definetly that part.... autozone employees are not mechanics...they are guessing... it could be a bad pcm bad wiring and or a nother part related to the canister purge solenoid. if you provide me with the code then we can properly diagnose this problem...other than reading the code did they perform any testing to your car? of course not. so you can either go back to the parts house and request the cdode so we can diagnose this or I can give you instructions on replacing this part in hopes that by a roll of the dice this fixes it...make sense?

They said they don't do that. So I ordered a reader from amazon and will get the reader and the code today. Sorry I will know from now on thx

take it to another parts house man that is terrible that they don't give you the code....its kind of like a donkey

2002 Honda Civic code is p1457.

ALLDATA Repair

Inbox

See All

BURTON S AUTOMOTIVE INC
    BURTONSAUTOMOTI0Shop

• Select Vehicle
    • |
    • New TSBs
    • |
    • Technician`s Reference
    • |
    • Library Request
    • |
    • Community :

Conversion Calculator

2002 Honda Civic LX Sedan L4-1668cc 1.7L SOHC MFI

Vehicle » A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) » Testing and Inspection » P Code Charts » P1457

• P1457

DTC P1457: EVAP Control System Leakage (EVAP Canister System)

NOTE: The fuel system is designed to allow specified maximum vacuum and pressure conditions. Do not deviate from the vacuum and pressure tests as indicated in these procedures. Excessive pressure/vacuum would damage the EVAP components or cause eventual fuel tank system failure.

Special Tools Required
    Vacuum pump/gauge, 0 - 30 in.Hg A973X-041-XXXXX

This is a two-trip code. Once cleared, it cannot be reproduced in one trip. Also, certain specific driving and ambient conditions must occur before the ECM/PCM will complete the system checks. Additional test drives may still not meet the specific conditions needed to reproduce the code.

Follow these troubleshooting procedures carefully to ensure the integrity of the system and to confirm the cause of the problem or code.

NOTE: Fresh fuel has a higher volatility that will create greater pressure/vacuum. The optimum condition for testing is fresh fuel, and there must be less than a full tank of fuel. If possible, to assist in leak detection, add 1 gallon of fresh fuel to the tank (as long as it will not fill the tank), just before starting these procedures.

EVAP Canister Purge Valve Test

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EVAP canister purge valve (A), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

1. Turn the EVAP canister purge valve ON with the Honda PGM Tester, or connect ECM/PCM connector terminal B21 to body ground with a jumper wire.
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    3. Apply vacuum to the hose.

Does the valve hold vacuum?

YES - Go to step 5.

NO - The EVAP canister purge valve is OK. Go to step 10.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    2. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector terminal No.2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 8.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the EVAP canister purge valve and the ECM/PCM (B21).

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Measure voltage between EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector terminal No.1 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?

YES - Replace the EVAP canister purge valve.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the EVAP canister purge valve and the No.4 ACG (10A) .

EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve Test

1. Disconnect both vacuum hoses from the EVAP two way valve (A), and connect a vacuum pump to the canister port on the two way valve.
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    3. Apply vacuum to the hose.

Does the valve hold vacuum?

YES - The EVAP two way/bypass solenoid valve is OK. Go to step 18.

NO - Go to step 13.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    2. Disconnect the EVAP bypass solenoid valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP bypass solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No.2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 16.

NO - Replace the EVAP two way/bypass solenoid valves (A).

1. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector E (31P).

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair the short in the wire between the EVAP bypass solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (E20).

NO - Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.

EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve Test

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EVAP canister vent filter (A), and connect a vacuum pump to the hose.

1. Turn the EVAP canister vent shut valve ON with the Honda PGM Tester, or connect ECM/PCM connector terminal E21 to body ground with a jumper wire.
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)
    3. Apply vacuum to the hose.

Does the valve hold vacuum?

YES - The EVAP canister vent shut valve is OK. Go to step 27.

NO - Go to step 22.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent shut valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister vent shut valve 2P connector terminal No.2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 25.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the ECM/PCM (E21).

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Measure voltage between EVAP canister vent shut valve 2P connector terminal No.1 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?

YES - Replace the EVAP canister vent shut valve (A) and the O-ring (B).

NO - Repair open in the wire between the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the No.4 ACG (10A) fuse.

Canister System Leak Test

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

1. Connect two, three-way T-fittings (A) into the hose from the EVAP canister to the EVAP two way valve. Connect the FTP sensor to one of the T-fittings and the vacuum pump to the other.

1. Remove the vent hose from the EVAP canister vent shut valve (A) and cap the port (B) to seal the fresh air vent of the EVAP canister.
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. While monitoring FTP sensor voltage with the Honda PGM Tester, or measuring voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminals E4 and E14, slowly pump the vacuum pump.
    2. Continue to pump vacuum until the voltage drops to about 1.5 V . Make sure that the engine coolant temperature is still above 95 °F (35 °C) and your vacuum pump has no leak.
    3. Monitor the voltage for 20 seconds .

Does the voltage drop 1.5 V and hold for at least 20 seconds ?

YES - Inspect the EVAP canister vent shut valve line and connections.

NO - Go to step 34.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

1. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting (A) from the EVAP canister, and plug the canister port (B).
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

2. Continue to pump vacuum until the voltage drops to about 1.5 V . Make sure the engine coolant temperature is still above 95 °F (35 °C) and your vacuum pump has no leak.
    3. Monitor the voltage for 20 seconds .

Does the voltage hold for at least 20 seconds ?

YES - Inspect the fuel tank vapor control line and connections.

NO - Go to step 40

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

1. Disconnect the purge line hose (A) from the canister at the metal line and plug the hose (B).
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. While monitoring FTP sensor voltage with the Honda PGM Tester, or measuring voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminals E4 and E14 slowly pump the vacuum pump.
    2. Continue to pump vacuum until the voltage drops to about 1.5V . Make sure that the engine coolant temperature is still above 95 °F (35 °C) and your vacuum pump has no leak.

1. Monitor the voltage for 20 seconds .

Does the voltage drop to 1.5 V and hold for at least 20 seconds ?

YES - Inspect the EVAP canister purge valve line and connections. If they are OK, perform the EVAP two way valve test and the fuel tank vapor control valve test.

NO - Replace the EVAP canister (A).

© 2017 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

they can fail internally. you can either replace it hope it fixed it or I can help you do testing over the phone

Wow thx

so what have y ou decided to do ? do you need help with more testing

eric remington