Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Second opinion] Trying to change no 1 catalytic converter in…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Trying to...

Second opinion] Trying to change no 1 catalytic converter in my 2010 Honda CR-V. Got it all unbolted but it will not fit between firewall and valve cover or anywhere else. Whats the secret for getting it out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

What is scoped out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself Yes. Tried every position possible. Shields are off, won't fit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, Last mechanic said i need to drop subframe and remove from bottom. car is on a lift and I have a tripod jack to support engine . can you give me a quick run through on removing sub frame?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
8/30/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

the 'factory' method is to drop the whole engine and transmission out as 1 lump and the cat is normally fitted to the engine before this so yes if you have a lift then the easiest method is to drop the entire front subframe with the engine, box and front suspension all still attached as one unit.

Undo the strut top mounts to release them from the body

you'll need to remove the exhaust, undo the gear linkage, fuel pipes, throttle cable, water hoses, engine electrics and engine intake pipework

then remove the engine top mount that secures it to the car body - the engine should still sit happily on the subframe mounts.

Remove all the big subframe bolts securing it to the body and then lower the whole assembly down, whilst supporting the engine on its sump pan - use a peice of wood to spread the load on the sump so the jack doesn't punch through the pan or bend it

however there's 1 more thing to try if you haven't already - before dropping the engine

I 've had success in the past by removing the top mount to allow the engine to rock back in the engine bay and this can buy a bit more clearance and possibly allow you to extract the cat from underneath

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you