Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

No codes and no power, All the time this is a cng car, 1998…

Customer Question
No codes and no...

No codes and no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

All the time this is a cng car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1998 Civic gx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic GX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Iac valve. Fuel filter. Oem wires and plugs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
I unplugged o2 sensor and it ran better. Checked tps values at closed and wot. All correct. Unplugged tps and it idled around 1100 but ran smooth
8/19/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Is the check engine light on and if so, what are the fault codes?

No check engine light. There was a P0193. I replaced the fuel filter and cleared the codes. No codes returned

HI,

Have you checked the exhaust to see if there is a restriction in the catalytic converter

Not yet. I unplugged the top O2 sensor and it ran like it should. Didn't see the need to pull manifold

HI,

Unscrew the O2 sensor from the manifold and see if power is restored. With it out, there is enough for the exhaust to escape if the converter is partially plugged

The guy I got the car from said the car ran good before he replaced the head gasket. Car started acting up after he changed it

HI,

That really opens it up - timing may be off a notch, which is what I would initially suspect - vacuum leaks, air intake leaks, vacuum hoses misrouted.

As much of a pain as it is, the first place really needs to be to verify timing marks are correct.

If the timing was off, would unplugging certain sensors make it run correctly
By certain sensors I mean when I unplugged the tps it ran better just like when I unplugged the top O2 sensor

HI,

Usually not, but I never discount it.

Unplug the engine coolant temp sensor and see if runs better. If it does, I believe either an issue in the wiring harness with the 5v reference signal or the computer.

Let me know and also post the 17 digit vin number so I can pull the schematics

Will get back with you later. Got to go school shopping for my kids

HI,

Ok, I am here everyday until around 9pm MST

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager