Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Fuel pump will shut off going down the road. Now that it's…

Fuel pump will shut...

Fuel pump will shut off going down the road. Now that it's worse it usually won't start running again. Took it to a mechanic twice, first time it didn't act up second time they replaced main relay. When it won't start the check light will stay on and the fuel pump won't prime. If I leave the key on after a while the check light will go off and the fuel pump will prime and the engine will start but it will only run for a minute. Let it sit overnight and it might run a few miles before it quits or maybe not, it is very unpredictable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It will blink when rolling down the road but when car is stopped with the key on it usually just stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

95 civic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure if I want to do it myself but the mechanic replaced the main relay that's about it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

8/14/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

What else has been replaced besides the Main relay?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
I think the mechanic checked with his scan tool. Main relay is only thing replaced. phone is good didn't put my # in contact info though
Phone call session started

It was nice speaking with you on the phone Jonathan.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee

It was nice to speak with you too Amedee. Thank you very much.Jonathan