Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

After shutting car off the left side fan continues to run

for about 10 minutes that...
After shutting car off the left side fan continues to run for about 10 minutes that shuts off. After reading the this other persons issue, I have an idea where to look for the answer. over the last week I've noticed that the car temp is going up when I'm sitting in traffic also. When I'm driving the temp goes back down to normal. As I'm sitting in traffic, the AC will start blowing hotter air as the temp goes up too.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Yes and no leaks
JA: What is the model of your '10 Honda?
Customer: 2001 Honda Accord LX
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be fixing it myself and I've only checked the fuses and coolant so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/7/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It sounds like the right fan may be burned out, have you checked to see if it ever comes on?

Both fans come on. The left fan stays on after I shut the car off. It stays on for at least 10 minutes after the car is off. If I turn the key to start it will come on. Then it stays on after I turn the key off

V6 or 4 cylinder?

2001 Accord LX-V6

The fan on the left side is the radiator fan, fan on right side is condensor fan. Next time fan stays on unplug the coolant temp sensor on thermostat housing, if fan shuts off problem is either switch or this is a normal operating condition. If fan stays on then replace the cooling fan module. If you are sure both fans are working and temp is riding in traffic that would mean problem is thermostat or radiator, replacing thermostat is easiest place to start. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ok, I'll let you know

Sounds good, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to keep me updated. Thanks.

Ever get it figured out?

I'm replacing the fan, thermostat and coolant sensor. Parts are ordered and were supposed to arrive today. Haven't seen UPS though. I will remove the parts this weekend. Put the new ones in when I get them. I'll let you know next week if it's fixed

Sounds good, keep me updated. Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Dan, it was the thermostat. I changed it out and the temp is normal. The fan dies not run when shutting down the car too.
Dan, Technician