Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

On my 2006 Honda Pilot it runs great with no codes for

awhile, then the engine light...
On my 2006 Honda Pilot it runs great with no codes for awhile, then the engine light all of the sudden comes on and it seems to go into limp mode with almost no power and code P0300, 303, 304, 305 and 306 come on. Then I can clear codes and it runs perfectly strong for another couple days then repeats engine light, no power etc... what could that be that it runs great only when eng light is off?
8/6/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

when it does that does it make a tapping noise in the engine?

No not that I've noticed

Ok after some digging I found a solution, there is a TSB on that, I would call the dealer and see if ti has been performed on your vehicle already, sorry that took so long

Okay will do. Does that mean a recall?

Its not quite a recall, its just enough of a problem that they send these out to all the techs for repair guides, it may or may not be covered under warranty you may get lucky and they do the service for free :) you will just have to call in the morning when they open and find out. If it has already been performed we will need to start looking at the crank and cam shaft position sensors that controls the ignition sequence on the vehicle.

Okay so I'll call and ask them about a TSB for this Honda. Btw what does TSB stand for?

technical service bulletin

Okay great thanks! One last thing I remembered since I just now drove it. Turning is stiff only when turning to the right. It's almost like the power steering isn't working but only to the right.

that sounds like a internal rack failure, there is a series of pressure tests to do to confirm that it is the rack or something else.

What are the tests, or do I just take it to a shop?

they require some high pressure special gauges, and after connection its a series of checking pressures , honda would be the only ones that I know that have these tools

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Oh got it thank you
Okay so the dealer said there are no recalls except SRS. Wouldn't there be a crank or cam sensor code if it were either?

that thing I sent is just a guide and not so much a recall, and usually the cam and crank code but I have seen some that havent over the year s

If this matter, I was idling and eng light/limp mode came on. When I turned the engine off, I came back prepared to clear it so it'll get out of limp mode but eng light was off by itself upon starting. It just came back on 5-10 mins later
Trying to nail this down and give specific symptoms. Seems whenever it idles for a few mins the flashing engine light/limp mode kicks on. While normal driving the most is maybe a solid engine light but still runs strong.

sounds like a valve adjustment problem and ecm

Okay I'll take it in. And thanks for the TSB. The dealer acts like they are clueless about it and wants to charge for diag

thats crazy, dealers are so nuts, let me know if you have any more questions

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.