Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Just quit while driving. No warning. couldn't even shift to…

Customer Question
Just quit while driving...

Just quit while driving. No warning. couldn't even shift to park to remove key. Had OBD2 reader with me (luck), couldn't establish communication. let sit 15 minutes while I grabbed a wrench to disconnect battery (figured might try a hard boot), after battery reconnected, engine started. OBD2 showed no stored codes or enhanced DTC's. then engine quit again (at least was in park, now).

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leaks that I've seen. Always park in the same place at home and work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Honda?

It's an 04---CRV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Normally do my own work, but this just happened this morining--car is still on the side of the road with no codes, I don't have a good starting point

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It turns over, just doesn't seem to fire

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
8/6/2017
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It will require some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening but it sounds as if the engine controller is going down. This would explain the engine dying and the lack of ECM communication with the code reader.

At the time it won't start and communication isn't possible what will need to be done is test the ECM power and ground feeds. If they are present yet the ECM isn't operational then the problem is internal and it will need to be replaced.

If a power or ground feed is missing or is weak then the affected circuit will need to be investigated further to determine whether the issue is wiring, power distribution, the ignition switch, etc.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

No real help... Haven't eliminated anything or focused on anything.

It isn't possible to know exactly what is causing your problem without performing electrical testing on the vehicle.