Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Thanks! Have a 2017 Fit, 600 miles. AC cools fine, but once

Customer Question

Thanks! Have a 2017 Fit, 600 miles. AC cools fine, but once interior is somewhat cool, the AC compressor seems to stop. Fan continues. This is fine on middling-hot days, but not on very hot days. The air is quite cool out of the vents, at the start, but like I say, the cooling shuts down. On my 2016 Fit and 2005 Accord, etc., the AC would continue to put out iced air if I were moving at highway speeds. Any thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: Coolant level is fine and no apparent leaks. Just back from dealer service who says that what I describe above is "built-in" climate control feature for all Honda's of 2017. I found your site in just wanting to verify the service tech
JA: What is the model of your '17 Honda?
Customer: LX, auto transmission
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'm not a repair person. I have an independent garage mechanic who I have used on Hondas for 30 years, but I haven't brought this to him. He refers me to the dealer for AC problems.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, this looks about it. It's still quite a new car!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I read your notes and will try to answer your question the best of my ability. These newer vehicles use a new refrigerant and is not as efficient as the older R12 , the new one, that is the first thing, the other is during idle or slower speeds the compressor does not run as fast as when driving at higher speeds creating higher pressures through the expansion valve. This you can verify by when in neutral and idling and noticing it not as cool just raise the RPM to about 2000 RPM you will notice it getting cooler. Use a thermometer and stick it into the center vent to monitor temperature.

Also check your control settings If it has a control that you can adjust for fresh air or recirculating make sure it is on recirculating , because if on fresh that alloows outside air in , like leaving the fridge door open and the A/C system has to work that much harder to cool things down. Hope this helps you and explains what is happening. If I can be of moer service please ask as I try to achieve a 5 star ratting. Thank you for using just answer.