Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Won't start. It turns over but wont start. It also stopped…

Customer Question
Won't start. It turns...

Won't start. It turns over but wont start. It also stopped while driving down the road now wont start back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes it's not the battery. Starter, alternator, sparks plugs, fuel pump. Checked all of that. Cleaned out catilytic converter. Codes for they came up earlier

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. We have tried everything we can think of. It's a honda odyssey. Starter, alternator, battery, spark plugs, fuel pump. We do have a code reader.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
8/2/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did you check if you have spark present at the coil?

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Do you have fuel inector pulse present?

Not sure. How do I check that?
We have fuel getting to it. And we tried starting it with starter fluid
We do have a code reader and it gives is lots of codes.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

What are the codes?

P0172, p0157, po134, p2647, p0302, p0301, p0303, p0300, p0305, P0304, P0306, p420,430
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Does the engine turn strong or weak when you try to start it?

Strong
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did the light come on after it cut off?

Well it was already on for the catalytic converter. Which we have replaced one and have the other 2 to do
Driving down the road and just stops. Still have power though
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Quick thing, p2647 is for rocker control circuit. Have you checked the oil level?

We were 2 quarts low.
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Can you top off oil and then check one more time. Low oil pressure can affect the rocker arm circuit.

We did that
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok, since you have a scan tool. Can you go in the data option and select RPM. See if the reading changes or stay at zero when you try to start it.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

And one thing i forgot to ask, does the green key light on the dash stay on or flash when you try to start it?

The green key comes in when I turn it on but it goes off when I try to start it. I dont have rpm in my options on my tool
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did the vehicle try to start when you used starting fluid?

Not any more than it does. It tries to start everytime
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

OK. You have already replaced most of the common culprits. The codes you have are not directly related to a starting issue. Next step is to check for jumped timing.

We replaced the timing belt 6 months ago and it seems to be ok
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

I'm running out of options on this one. i will opt out and let another expert assist you.

Ok thank you
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician