Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

S2000 2005 20,000 miles. Runs perfect except... when I fill…

Customer Question
S2000 2005 20,000...

S2000 2005 20,000 miles. Runs perfect except... when I fill it full of gas it initially wants to stall/sputter/die. This goes on for about 20-30 seconds after starting it two three times and then runs great again until if put gas in it. Auto zone checked through the OBD port and said there is a vacuum issue. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Runs perfect- starts fine after initial fill up start issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S2000 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to have someone say "it's the ____ you need to replace it" and yes I would do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pretty much that simple....

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Honda
8/2/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Without going through a complicated diagnosis with special tools I would say replace the purge solenoid. It can cause a vacuum leak and your problem. It's what allows the fuel vapor to enter the intake manifold. It is meant to be open only when controlled by the ECM. If it's stuck open it can allow vapors causing a over rich condition. My manual does not have instructions for replacing it. It's really easy just one connector, and the hose fittings. It pulls out of the rubber grommet. Click HERE for the parts information. This is the best advice without diagnosing.

Please navigate to the rating page and provide a rating. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to credit me.
Thank you,
~Honda-Man
Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.