HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2005 honda civic ex coupe, passenger window trouble going

Customer Question

2005 honda civic ex coupe, passenger window trouble going back up then completely stopped, would go down but not up, replaced regulator/motor, same thing, replaced passenger window switch, same thing, I can ground the wire on the passenger side that sends signal to go down, and jump between hot and wire to make the window go back up so the motor/regulator is fine. what next? driver side switch with circuit board?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 140k, auto xmission, 2 door coupe, driver window working fine
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the first message showed everything I have tried and checked
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like you may have an issue with the master switch (driver door switch). Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have checked a few things but if you want to call me I can go to the car and you can walk me through what you want me to check.***-***-****, thanks Ray
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not paying an additional $26 to save a few minutes, what do you want me to check?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the passenger side, there is a power, and two grounds, when I try up or down the ground is not opening on the opposite side. there is a power and I get an up and down signal to the passenger switch from the drivers side, its like I am getting power to both the up and down wires to the motor when I press the up from either switch
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

1. Go to the front passenger window switch and try and lower the window and there should be good battery voltage on the Red wire to the motor in the down position. If there is no voltage then check the Green/Black wire for battery voltage. If there is not voltage check the fuse and the wiring harness.

2. If there is voltage on the Red wire the there should be ground on the Red/Blue wire. So take a jumper wire and backprobe the Red/Blue wire and ground it and it the window moves down then the harness is OK. Next backprobe and ground the Blue/Red wire and it the window does not go down then the passenger window switch is faulty.

3. If the window moved down with the Blue/Red wire grounded then ground the Blue/Red wire at the master window switch. If the window moves down and the main switch is on then the master window switch is faulty. If the window did not move down then look for a open in the Blue/Red wire.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, the phone call thing is automated. Not generated by me.

I was looking at the wiring diagrams and typing up the steps to check.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like I said, I already checked all that, I just rode down and bought a drivers side switch, replaced it and it's working,
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Oh I'm sorry. After checking all of that the master switch didn't test faulty (step 3)?