Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1999 Honda Civic drives about a quarter mile and dies while…

Customer Question
1999 Honda Civic drives about...
1999 Honda Civic drives about a quarter mile and dies while driving. Starts right back up. No check engine lights are displayed. Sometimes it is worse than other times. What might this be?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Honda
7/31/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does it always restart? Does the radio shut off too?

it always restarts. I will have to ask my daughter about the radio. I will get back to you on that.

Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.

She said she is pretty sure it stays on.

Have her check again, it is a important key. Thanks.

Ok, I definitely will!

Thanks, ***** ***** updated.

She took it out last night. I will ask her when she wakes up.
Ok, the radio does not turn off when this happens.

Does it always restart right away? Or does it need to cool down sometimes first? Does it run fine after it stalls the first time or keep stalling every half mile?

Most of the time it starts back up right away. There have been times where it has not, and she had people push it into a parking lot right off the road she stalls on. She kept trying to restart it, but it had to cool down first. That was when she had been able to drive farther before it stalled out. It runs fine after it stalls and has to be restarted.
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing the engine to die and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. It may be losing spark, fuel, it's possible that the issue is with the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting when this happens. Have you checked for codes?

Would that make the check engine light come on? There is no check engine light on. I have not taken it for any testing or code reads.

You can't assume there are no fault codes setting because the engine light is not on. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for fault codes. If there are truly none stored then the next step will be to monitor fuel pressure when it dies, a scan tool may be needed to monitor data to begin testing at the time it dies.

Ok, I will have it scanned tomorrow and report back. Would it be the same test that Auto Zone offers free of charge?

Autozone will read fault codes with a generic OBDII code reader but they don't perform any actual testing.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician