Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Dissapearing coolant, no visible leak, block test ok, hoses…

Customer Question
Dissapearing coolant , no...

Dissapearing coolant , no visible leak, block test ok

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Hoses are new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

Ongoing problem requires me to add coolant daily 2002 honda civic ex standard transsmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes diy rad cap , thermostat, radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
7/31/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

You will need to have a radiator checked to see if there is combustion gases getting into the radiator indicating a leak in the head gasket. If there are no external physical leaks then the only other place coolant can go is into the engine cylinders and out the tail pipe. Do you get any smoke from tail pipe or open the oil cap and look for discolored oil inside or on the cap.it will look the color of chocolate milk.

i've checked radiator no change in fluid color
no coolant in oil
no smoke from tail pipe

coolant does not go low for no reason unless there is a leak somewhere. Check to see if you have small coolant lines going to the intake that may get coolant into the intake? Are you sure you do not just have air pockets that are purged after you replace the radiator and other parts? If you have air pockets it may take a few days to purge air and will be low every day until all air is out. Is it overheating?

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
Jaybird61