Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I put a used engine in it recently, now has no power above…

Customer Question
I put a used...

I put a used engine in it recently, now has no power above 3500 rpm. Just replaced upstream o2 sensors with no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

It's an 04 2 door accord with a v6 and a manual. I only looked at the upstream o2 sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked vtec solenoid screen, took car in for diagnostics, was told to replace upstream o2's , did so with no change in power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm sure there is but I'm drawing a blank right now

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
7/30/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician replied 9 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

May I start by getting your VIN and any codes in the computer?

Thank you!

I don't have a code reader, but the codes that have come up are for miss-fires on cylinders 1-6.
The VIN is 1HGCM81684A01232.
I disconnected the battery after replacing O2 sensors (upstream only) after my first test drive, to clear codes. Engine still has poor power. Runs OK up to 3700 RPM, then power falls off to almost no acceleration. No CEL showing currently.
BTW, previous engine used oil in one cylinder and toasted one of the CAT's, so we hollowed out both upstream CAT's.

Thank you for that information.

What is the engine vacuum at when the engine is at idle?

How do I measure that?

You would use a simple hand held vacuum gauge hooked up to the intake manifold to take a reading.

I don't have a vacuum gauge, is there another way to check?

no sir

Maybe we could speak on the phone?

No thanks, ***** ***** don't have the proper tools, there's no sense in me throwing good $ after bad.
What is it that vacuum pressure would affect?

It would indicate a base engine mechanical or breathing issue or problem if the vacuum is low.

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician