Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I own a 1989 Honda CRX HF, and i'm having some issues. Can…

Customer Question
I own a 1989...

I own a 1989 Honda CRX HF, and i'm having some issues. Can you help me diagnose the problem so i can buy the correct parts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-X yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i am. The problems started when i changed my distributor a few months back. After i changed it, the car wouldn't start. I finally figured out that the fuel pump somehow came unplugged. When i plugged it back in, it started right up. I drove it to my buddy's house, and on the way there, the car kept shutting off whenever it dropped below around 500-800RPM (I am driving a manual transmission, and this happened every time i came to a stop). So, for awhile, i had to drive it around by holding the gas and clutch at the same time when stopping, which proved to be very difficult. After a couple of days driving around like that, my car stopped running while driving on the freeway. After pulling over, i saw that the issue was that my new distributor had fallen completely off, because i didn't torque it down enough. After i reinstalled it, it was having a similar issue as before, except not only was it sputtering out below 800 RPM, but the same thing would happen if it went up to 3k, rendering the car useless.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No, the clutch feels fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Apparently it is backfiring through the intake.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Honda
7/28/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you could have 180 degrees out ,

PLEASE CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE TO REMOVE AND REPLACE DISTRIBUTOR Correctly AND ADJUSTED CORRECTLY

ON YOUR 1989 HONDA CIVIC HF

YOU ARE WELCOME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

That's definitely not the issue. I've already tried that, and it doesn't fit the other way.

well that is all i know it ,I will opt out of the question and open it for other exerts for you familiar more with distributors than me

good luck with it

just do not reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and other experts want see it to assist you further

Mechanic for Honda: Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech replied 6 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech

Hi, my name is ***** ***** cant put the distributor in but one way, so that wont be the problem, did you set the timing, once you installed the distributor?

Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech