Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2010 Odyssey fuel pump fuse keeps blowing right when

ignition is turned on JA: Do...
2010 Odyssey fuel pump fuse keeps blowing right when ignition is turned on
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to fix myself. I replaced the fuse a couple times and pulled up rear carpet and disconnected the fuel pump and then tried again with fuel pump disconnected and it still blew
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think thats it
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This means the yellow/green wire that goes from fuel pump to PGM FI #2 relay is shorted. You will need to find wire to find short cut wire and run a new wire between fuel pump and relay. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Could the relay itself be shorting or is it just that wire?

It is possible the relay but very unlikely. Remove relay to see if it stops blowing, if so swap relay with another one to see if it blows again, if so you need to replace the wire. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

ok. I'll start hunting down the wire.

Running a new wire would probably be easiest option if there is not damage within 2-3 feet of fuel pump wiring or within 2-3 feet of fuse box wiring. Let me know if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Thanks Dan. This really helps a lot. Ill let you know if I run into anything and need more help

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started
Hey Dan, I found the issue and its really bizzare
is there a way I can send you a picture?

You can upload picture to website by clicking the paperclip icon.

have you seen this before?

Definitely looks like some type of rodent, I'm happy to hear problem was found. I'd stick some mothballs in area to keep them away in future. I haven't seen it on this specific vehicle but have on many others.

Or you can buy rodent repellent tape

-

https://www.ebay.com/i/201898955520?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Cool thx, definitely getting the tape. I have never heard of this before, but obviously its a legit issue, I hope they didn't get the fuel lines

I'd avoid parking in grassy areas, that is about the most you can do without getting actual repellent.

I assume you'd recommend that I check the rest of the wires underneath that I can get to and see?

May as well, especially in same area where you found that damage.

hey Dan, How long is that section of wire the mice chewed up? Im trying to order the replacement (I could just splice the wires, but I did a search and the only thing the popped up looked like about a three foot section. I attached a picture, is this the part I need?

I do not have that information available but I'd agree that it looks about 2-3 feet. Based on picture I cannot tell if that is the part you need, you will need to find connectors on each end of wire and see if it has it's own little section or not. If not then I'd just splice in new wires. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Ok cool. I'll no for sure once I drop the tank. Ill keep you posted

Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.

Looks like I may get out of having to drop the tank! There is a short wire harness about 2 feet. Here is the other end. I tried to get the part number in focus for you since you haven't done this particular model, maybe it will help if you get this issue again. It runs from the fuel pump and connects to the middle section of a 3 section connector that sits ontop of a support in front of the drivers side rear wheel

Thanks for update, looks like you lucked out that it happened to be on the one small section of replaceable wiring.

Yeah. I am glad for that, I did notice they chewed through what looks like a small 1/4 inch vent tube from tank to a fitting on the frame below the fill tube. Im not too worried about that one, the rest of the lines look good
Dan, Technician