eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase technician
6149662

Battery light came on,,, drove some miles and slowly it

Customer Question

battery light came on,,, drove some miles and slowly it died. Assuming it is alternator problem. I want to check if going to aftermarket alternator or taking from dealer is better. After market from a tire shop labor and part is 480 and via delaer is 660 (out of the door).. I am torn which route I should take. It is a lot of money . Both are giving 12 months warranty
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: yes, I tested at samscluib and mechanic said it is perfect.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2007 odyssey touringf
JA: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing myself. Called a local shop (has presence in several states) and dealer Dealer informed they will use honda part with 12 m warranty. Other shop also said same . There is a 200 $ difference. what route should I take
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing that I am aware of
Category: Honda
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

aftermarket or rebuilt is fine or even used... try www.car-part.com to locate a used one

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. In your expereicne which model should I ask for rebuilt one? I read bad reviews baout duraplast. so I can ask model from third party. Hopefully it will last for few more years.
Is there anything else that a third party mechanic has to do specific for honda system while changing alternator or they are kknowledgeable? Richie good year tire folks said they have codes that can bring all electrical back to normal.
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

i have great luck with napa alternators and bosch i try and stay away from the discount chain stores

Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

codes to bring it back to normal? a bad alternator requires rebuild or replacement

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks . I will go to richey tires and service. He told me using ultima or danco alternator. I Appreciate your insight..
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am being charged 23 besides $5 and I beleive it is errorneously charged . I already paid $5 . I will update the rate later this evening. Please ensure that I am not charged for any amounts besides oriinally $5. Thanks