MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

Vtm-4 light, check emissions light, sluggish, loud engine.

Customer Question

vtm-4 light, check emissions light, sluggish, loud engine. Happened with previous 2 Honda pilots as well when pulled very small trailer in mountains. frustrating
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: vtm-4 light doesn't blink, but not always on, just intermittent, check emission controls is steady on
JA: What year is your Pilot?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: been to my mechanic 2x, first time he changed oil and pulled codes - P3400 VPS stuck off. Cleared, thought was good, but lights came back on after short drive. Back in today, they manually reset the VPS (does that make sense?) thought it was good, but I was running errands and lights came back on after short drive. Scheduled to leave car with them next Monday, just trying to research
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so...
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The vtm 4 ight is an indication that the computers think the vehicle is losing traction.This is also related to the sluggish issues since the computers will start to pull back power from the drive wheels as it thinks it is slipping on a slippery surface.Is this code still setting?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's not steady, just intermittent. Check emission control is on steady
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

Any engine misfire codes setting that you know of?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
engine code P3400 VPS stuck off - was reset
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Let me open this up for others here to see if anyone else can help further.My info for the code here is incomplete and I dont want to post the wrong answer here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you on this.

did this have any misfire codes other than the p3400